Re-applying for a Freedom pass (Renewal). Would Expired passport be fine as Photo ID?

Options
Karen_taris
Karen_taris Posts: 162 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 2 January at 12:15AM in Disability money matters
Re-applying for a Freedom pass (Renewal). Would Expired passport be fine as Photo ID?

When Re-applying for a Freedom pass on disabled grounds so can use buses without paying by showing the freedom pass.

It is due a renewal and they have posted the application paper form in the post.

Also with this form filled in you need to send

* Photo ID (photocopy)
* Utility bill

With the photo ID would an Expired passport be fine to send them?
(This would just be a photocopy)

Which is a clear photo of the person, but the passport expired 4 months ago.
(so not a fresh date)

Would that be fine for them to use as Photo ID?

The department is Social care at a borough in London.

Comments

• Karen_taris
    Karen_taris Posts: 162 Forumite
    edited 2 January at 11:50AM
    Options

When Re-applying for a Freedom pass on disabled grounds so can use buses without paying by showing the freedom pass.

It is due a renewal and they have posted the application paper form in the post.

Also with this form filled in you need to send

* Photo ID (photocopy)
    * Utility bill

With the photo ID would an Expired passport be fine to send them?
    (This would just be a photocopy)

Which is a clear photo of the person, but the passport expired 4 months ago.
    (so not a fresh date)

Would that be fine for them to use as Photo ID?

The department is Social care at a borough in London.

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,032 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They should be answering phones on Tuesday: I'm not sure anyone here can tell you for sure!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,769 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think this is one where you're going to have to go to source for definitive answer as it is up to them and it could be a long wait for someone coming along and saying they used an expired passport without issue... and even then it may have been discretionary rather than any hard rule. 

https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/services/freedom-pass/older-persons-freedom-pass/documents-and-photograph

Here in the document list they say current passport which to me implies valid..i.e. not expired... I assume you have no other suitable proof of ID. 

Freedom Pass
    If you have any enquiries about the Freedom Pass please call the dedicated helpline on 0300 330 1433 or email info@freedompass.org.

Or the nuclear option - renew passport (might take less than a week) which would likely give you 10 years without issue of proving ID in any circumstances.

"Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    When I was living in London, they always accepted the photo card for my existing freedom pass As my ID to renew it . We are talking about nearly 20 years ago though
  • MSE_ForumTeam5
    MSE_ForumTeam5 Posts: 966 Community Admin
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    We've combined the three threads in line with our rules on avoiding duplicate threads 
    Official MSE Forum Team member. Please use the 'report' button to alert us to problem posts, or email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • katesheet
    katesheet Posts: 216 Forumite
    Options
    I think this is one where you're going to have to go to source for definitive answer as it is up to them and it could be a long wait for someone coming along and saying they used an expired passport without issue... and even then it may have been discretionary rather than any hard rule. 

https://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/services/freedom-pass/older-persons-freedom-pass/documents-and-photograph

Here in the document list they say current passport which to me implies valid..i.e. not expired... I assume you have no other suitable proof of ID. 

Freedom Pass
    If you have any enquiries about the Freedom Pass please call the dedicated helpline on 0300 330 1433 or email info@freedompass.org.

Or the nuclear option - renew passport (might take less than a week) which would likely give you 10 years without issue of proving ID in any circumstances.

Does current passport mean that it cannot be an expired one?  and has to be upto date?

How long does applying for a passport renewal take, for a new passport to be sent back ?
  • Muttleythefrog
    Muttleythefrog Posts: 19,769 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 January at 12:25AM
    Options
    katesheet said:

Freedom Pass

Does current passport mean that it cannot be an expired one?  and has to be upto date?

How long does applying for a passport renewal take, for a new passport to be sent back ?
    Already answered.... speak to them for clarity of what may be acceptable outside of their list of documents.

Most likely less than a month but will depend on many factors including your own actions and method of applying.
    "Do not attribute to conspiracy what can adequately be explained by incompetence" - rogerblack
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback