Options

Comments

• fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 4 January at 9:57PM
    Options
    RAS said:

The car is a secured debt, so he has to keep paying that in the short-term. But he needs to read the contract as often they can be returned once 50% is paid off and it might be cheaper to given it back and get a little run around.

He will get letters, which may reference legal action. Advise him to come here for help.
    If this is HP or PCP then it is lending under the Consumer Credit Act and s99 gives you the right to terminate at any time and have liability limited to 50% of the credit figure.  If he's paid 50% then in theory he can hand it back and walk away if he follows the process in this factsheet

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/fact-sheet-library/hire-purchase-debt-ew/

It's a useful get out of jail clause
  • Dmptogo
    Dmptogo Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi UPDATE.

One of the creditors has passed their account on to C&L Collections.
    Direct Debit on the back of the letter and asking for a payment.With "Failure to address this issue may result in further action"

What should he do.I have told him to ignore it until the account has gone to default.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Yes, that's good advice.

But has it been defaulted before being passed to the collector?

What does the credit report say?
  • Dmptogo
    Options
    Doesnt say its gone to default and no access yet to his credit report.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,929 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Debt collectors do not own the debts they are assigned to collect, so any "further action" just means we will write to you and call you until you get sick of us, in a nutshell.

Only a debts owner can take legal action, and that is very unlikely, but there will be plenty of warning if it were to happen.

Defaults are taking longer due to mis-guided advice from the FCA to companies on how to best deal with customers in debt.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Dmptogo
    Options
    Update 
    Received letter today from Creation stating that if he doesnt pay his arrears off in full,then they will send his account to"Themis Recoveries".

Shall he wait for them to get intouch?

• sourcrates
    Options
    Be aware that "Themis Global" are just 3rd party collectors, the debt may not default whilst assigned to them.

As long as interest has been stopped, you can engage with them, best to clarify first as the delays caused by non default are currently causing confusion within the DMP community. 

If your credit file is of little importance to you then disregard this advice.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Dmptogo
    Options
    Creation finance have sent a letter today stating if he doesn’t pay his arrears in full then they will issue a default notice in 28 days.So is this a good thing and what happens next?
  • sourcrates
    Options
    It is what it is, to comply with the consumer credit act, a default notice must be sent to the debtor.

This will be an official looking document giving the debtor 14 days to remedy the breach to the terms and conditions by paying the arrears, failure to do so will result in the account defaulting, and a default being registered on his credit file.

All perfectly normal and nothing to be bothered by.

Sometime after this deadline has expired, the debt will likely be sold, or are Themis Global still on the scene?
  • Dmptogo
    Options
    Not heard from  Themis Global for awhile?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback