Barclays Remortgage

Hi
 My mortgage ic coming to an end in April 2024 and I called them to lock in a remortgage rate and agreed on a product with a fee of £999 which I agreed to add to the loan amount. What I noticed is they already added this to my outstanding loan and started collecting the interest for the extra £999. I thought they will do this only when the current term ends in April.

Just wondering what will happen If I decide to go with another bank for my re-mortgage? Will they refund £999 along with the extra interest they charged?

Thanks
Maveli

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,345
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    But you say you agreed to the new rate and that it should be added to the mortgage.  Have a look at your T&Cs if you want to cancel - there may be a 14 day cooling off period. 
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • maveli
    maveli Posts: 590
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Brie said:
    But you say you agreed to the new rate and that it should be added to the mortgage.  Have a look at your T&Cs if you want to cancel - there may be a 14 day cooling off period. 
    Yes, I agreed. But I was told on the phone that I will get the fee back, But can't see this anywhere in T&C
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,345
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    maveli said:
    Brie said:
    Yes, I agreed. But I was told on the phone that I will get the fee back, But can't see this anywhere in T&C
    Make a note of the date, time &, if you can remember, who you were talking to.  They will have a recording of the call in case you need to lodge a complaint if the info you received is wrong.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • I am assuming OP has done a product change, not a remortgage. I had a similar experience in September 2022 (Peak Truss & Kwarteng). I decided to arrange a product change before the end of my fix, where the new rate (3.15%) was higher than the old rate (2.44%), and I explicitly asked the Barclays advisor to arrange for the new product to become active as late as possible, I think it was 90 days back then. This was ignored by Barclays, and the new product (and rate) kicked in almost immediately, so for about 2 months I was paying higher interest than I should have. I decided to not complain, because interest rates were going up daily, and I felt lucky to be able to bag a product that is unlikely to be available for years to come. @maveli - I suggest that you check if your rate has changed to the new product, as I think there is a very high chance your new product has kicked in immediately, similar to how it happened to me, which would explain the fee being already added to the balance.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback