Free coin changing machinees in London

Comments

• mab3000
    mab3000 Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The Barclays self service devices used to have the facility to pay coin into the machines, however they rolled out a nationwide stop on that around 5 years ago now. 

I’m not aware of any replacement or other self service coin counting devices in Barclays branches 
  • cisko65
    cisko65 Posts: 233 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    FredTrump said:
    cisko65 said:
    I know that some Barclays branches have the machinesfor free (I am a customer), but customer service is not able to tell me which branches in London do it.
    Do you know any other bank?
    Not interested in coinstar or highly charging companies.
    Thanks.
    The Kensington and Chiswick branches of Barclays had self-service machines.
    I haven't banked with them for a while but guess they'll be in other London branches. 
    The problem is that I can't find which brances still do it. Will try and call customer service again hoping this time they provide updated information. Thanks.
  • cisko65
    cisko65 Posts: 233 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    mab3000 said:
    The Barclays self service devices used to have the facility to pay coin into the machines, however they rolled out a nationwide stop on that around 5 years ago now. 

I’m not aware of any replacement or other self service coin counting devices in Barclays branches 
    Thanks for the updated Barclays  info.
  • I've always bagged loose change up in those clear plastic coinage bags which tell you how much they take. I've taken them to Lloyds and Santander and paid them in over the counter, never had a problem.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 31 December 2023 at 7:16PM
    boingy said:
    adindas said:

I noticed that in the Tesco self check machine you could no longer pay using 1p, 2p. Similarly with TFL self ticket machine. You could pay with 5p but not with 1p or 2p

Apparently that change of policy was caused by someone who held up the queue for 20 minutes whilst they fed 1p and 2p coins in at a rate of about one every 3 seconds. Or that's what I heard anyway....  >:)
    Well, not me. >:)>:)
    I personally never put a lot of 1p/2p coin in the self check out machine in the supermarket.It is not efficient considering your time as well. I just put the coins I have in my pocket to match the price of the item preventing getting coin as a change.
    Moreover, it is good for the environment, isn't it. It's worth noting that the copper in question is still recyclable. Unless you bring a jar of 1p/2p coins, even homeless individuals might feel offended if you offer 1p/2p coins to them. Moreover, this is a forum dedicated to MSE. >:)B)

• username
    username Posts: 652 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    cisko65 said:
    HSBC have coin machines
    But are they free for non-customer? I'll check. Thanks
    You'll need an HSBC account to deposit them in. They also seem to be removing them whenever they do a branch refurb, so they're becoming a bit of a rare commodity.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've always bagged loose change up in those clear plastic coinage bags which tell you how much they take. I've taken them to Lloyds and Santander and paid them in over the counter, never had a problem.
    They tend to have limits on amount of bags but the PO also let you deposit coins into your own accounts. If someone has say 20 bags worth of shrapnel they don't want to sort it all and pay in over several days, they want somewhere to dump the coins into a sorter and then have a pay-out - but without the fee you get from Coinstar. Natwest certainly have had the machines in some branches but it's not clear which - the Coin In machines are mentioned but you can't filter to include them, just by cash pay-in option
  • pochisoldi
    pochisoldi Posts: 261 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A few years back, when I still paid cash for beer, I ended up with lots and lots of 5p coins. These were recycled by bagging up into £5 bags and then handed over for more beer at the pub every so often. I'd get rid of a £5 bag of 5 pence pieces, pub gets £5 of change at nil cost. This only works at businesses where there is an element of mutual trust, where you know the person you are handing the cash over to and they are willing to accept that the bag actually contains £5.

• adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,813 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A few years back, when I still paid cash for beer, I ended up with lots and lots of 5p coins. These were recycled by bagging up into £5 bags and then handed over for more beer at the pub every so often. I'd get rid of a £5 bag of 5 pence pieces, pub gets £5 of change at nil cost. This only works at businesses where there is an element of mutual trust, where you know the person you are handing the cash over to and they are willing to accept that the bag actually contains £5.

Presumably they do not have coin counting or weighting machine. I wonder how did the pub count that coin. Sorting it (if any) and count to ensure there are 100 coins will cost their valuable time.

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    adindas said:

Presumably they do not have coin counting or weighting machine. I wonder how did the pub count that coin. Sorting it (if any) and count to ensure there are 100 coins will cost their valuable time.

My assumption is that the landlord trusted pochisoldi wouldn't be short changing and just took it as a bag of 100 x 5p
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback