Any good lower cost alternatives to VWRD and VHYL?

Options

Comments

• GeoffTF
    GeoffTF Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 29 December 2023 at 11:01PM
    Options
    ColdIron said:
    VHYL is an All World High Yield tracker that might be used for income while VWRD is growth oriented, I'm not why you would use both unless you have different objectives for each
    You could look at VHVG instead of VWRD. It's a GBP Developed World tracker with a 0.12% OCF. It's the accumulating version of VEVE
    VWRD is a whole market tracker. It contains both the growth stocks and the value stocks. VHYL contains only the higher yielding stocks which will tend to have lower valuations. It is much less well diversified than VWRD. I agree that there is little point in including it. As others have said, it is cheaper to use a developed world tracker along with an emerging markets tracker. (Emerging markets are about 10% of the global market.)
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Always read the KIID (Key Investor Information Document). Headline %'s on ETF's only tell part of the story. The real cost of trading can be far higher in reality.  
  • qbadger
    Options
    masonic said:
    qbadger said:
    Try to use your SIPP to hold the SP500 ETF. If that's not possible, change to a swap-based one to avoid US WHT.
    It's not quite as simple as that... https://monevator.com/etfs-and-the-peculiar-effects-of-withholding-tax/
    So any SIPP platforms still don't recover the additional 15% WHT? I assumed that all the "top-10" ones now do, but happy to stand corrected.
  • isayhello
    Options
    noclaf said:
    VEVE was my largest holding till a few months back...a cheap well established ETF and reasonably good performance (subjective). I also used HMWO in another investment wrapper. Can't go wrong with either for Global Equity ETF's (Developed markets) but there are various others e.g SWDA, LGGG, VWRL,VWRP..and so on. I use SWLD in my S&SISA as wanted an accumulating ETF.

Ongoing fund/etf and platform costs are important however in a slight change of approach I am 'experimenting' with an active Global ETF in my SIPP and whilst the ETF fees are higher (double at 0.25% Vs 0.12% for VEVE or SWLD for example) am hoping the performance will be better ....only time will tell.

Within reason ongoing fees should be minimised to the extent possible.

As Masonic suggested above, you can combine a EM ETF should you wish alongside any of the Dev World ETF's though tend to have higher fees....0.1-0.15% additional fees maybe negligible impact overall. 
    @noclaf does the active approach you've taken involve some manager who will make adjustments to the portfolio if they think it's needed? and if they're doing it, then there are no extra trading charges for you if they buy or sell different assets inside the fund?
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    qbadger said:
    masonic said:
    qbadger said:
    Try to use your SIPP to hold the SP500 ETF. If that's not possible, change to a swap-based one to avoid US WHT.
    It's not quite as simple as that... https://monevator.com/etfs-and-the-peculiar-effects-of-withholding-tax/
    So any SIPP platforms still don't recover the additional 15% WHT? I assumed that all the "top-10" ones now do, but happy to stand corrected.
    What's the additional 15% ? 
  • qbadger
    qbadger Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I'm simply using the same phrasing as the article that was linked.
  • noclaf
    noclaf Posts: 897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 30 December 2023 at 8:59AM
    Options
    isayhello said:
    @noclaf does the active approach you've taken involve some manager who will make adjustments to the portfolio if they think it's needed? and if they're doing it, then there are no extra trading charges for you if they buy or sell different assets inside the fund?
    I assume it's pretty much that, managers will try to tweak where they deem appropriate for active ETF's or funds*.

*I am fully aware that what happened in the past may not repeat i.e: the passive ETF's could outperform the comparable active options over another period and same applies whether it's funds or ETF's..

Re. additional charges not aware of any but that will vary between different etf's and funds.
  • JohnWinder
    JohnWinder Posts: 1,819 Forumite
    Options
    then there are no extra trading charges for you if they buy or sell different assets inside the fund?
    ...I assume it's pretty much that

There are usually broker charges for trading on an exchange, and usually a buy/sell spread which is a further cost. Who do we imagine would bear those costs other than the investor? Or do those 'frictional' loses come out of the fund manager's salary?

• noclaf
    noclaf Posts: 897 Forumite
    Options
    then there are no extra trading charges for you if they buy or sell different assets inside the fund?
    ...I assume it's pretty much that

There are usually broker charges for trading on an exchange, and usually a buy/sell spread which is a further cost. Who do we imagine would bear those costs other than the investor? Or do those 'frictional' loses come out of the fund manager's salary?

In the case of the ETF I am referring to, having checked the KIID and annual report it only mentions the ongoing charge, 0 entry/exit fees and a 'maximum TER' of 0.25%. There is also an expense section that includes the following: The above fees and expenses will not exceed the relevant Total Expense Ratio (“TER”) described in the Prospectus. The actual fees and expenses charged to
    each share class are detailed in Appendix 2 to this report. If expenses exceed the TER in relation to operating the funds, the Management Company will cover
    any shortfall from its own assets.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure