Neighbour snoring

Options
13»

Comments

• Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The neighbour would first be investigated, then warned, then served a compliance notice and finally prosecuted.

A noise complaint about snoring would not even get investigated. A council is in no position whatsover, legally or morally, to dictate that a person partakes in a series of medical examinations and treatments, which is what would probably be needed for obesity, sleeo apnoea and even smoking cessation..  
    Noise complaints have to be investigated and again, the legislation does not have acceptable sources of noise, it is not the source that matters, it is the volume emitted.
    As has been proved, it needs the High Court to force unwanted medical procedures on a person.
    No one is "forcing" surgery on anyone, what they would be required to do would be to compliant with the warning and compliance notice, how they achieve that is entirely up to them.
    Nice theory, but that is all it is. They will probably investigate briefly and decide that the person has a medical condition (which excessive snoring is) and they are unable to take any further action.

A compliance notice IS forcing the person to seek medical advice/treatment. 

Newspaper headline "council forces person to get treatment for sleep apnoea or get fined"   That is what the compliance notice will achieve and there will be some serious backpedalling in the council corridors
    I did a lot of research on snoring when it turned out that my new husband (27 years ago) snored badly.  

The council won’t investigate.  

“ A statutory nuisance needs to arise from something which is an unreasonable activity and case law does not permit normal domestic/everyday activity from constituting a nuisance. It would not be possible to consider snoring unreasonable and it is part of normal domestic life/activities.”  The same reason that they can’t investigate children screaming and babies crying.

The NHS website has lots of helpful information about what causes snoring and what can be done about.   Common reasons for snoring are obesity, drinking just before bedtime and smoking.  If none of these things work they may do some surgery.  However it’s rarely available on the NHS, often doesn’t work and if it does work it often comes back.  

Nasal polyps may cause snoring.  Common symptoms are a permanently blocked nose and loss of sense of smell.  They can be treated quite easily by surgery but have a habit of coming back  :D. I’ve had them removed twice and when they came back a third time the ENT Consultant said they were quite small and not worth removing again.  

My husbands snoring settled down without any intervention from us or the NHS.  It did take a few years though. 
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,181 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 December 2023 at 3:18PM
    Options
    If reported and you decide to sell, this would need to be declared as a dispute.

Any links to back up this has been reported before?
  • bb69
    bb69 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP I sympathise, experiencing the same thing with downstairs neighbour - going to opt for some underfloor board soundproofing at some point soon 
    Hope you manage to get sorted, and the boots earplugs recommended on here, really do work, have used them over the years
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback