Can my ISA dividend income be used towards getting a first-time mortgage?

I receive a steady stream of dividends totaling £15,000 per year (and rising). These dividends are from shares held in an ISA. I have a 10+ year record of receiving these dividends, and seeing them rise.

However, when I use these generic online "how much can I borrow" mortgage calculators, it tells me £167,000 would be normal. I find this astonishing as I'm basing it off two full-time incomes of £24k each and these £15k in dividends. There's also about £2k in child benefit. I mean, we're looking at having at least £5,375 per month when making the application. We currently live abroad, so I'm basing this off a conservative estimate of what we could easily expect to earn with full-time jobs. The likelihood is that we'd earn more over time and once settled in. I'm seeking a 25-year mortgage and I'm debt free. And I have a £100k deposit.

So, can my ISA dividend income be used towards getting a first-time mortgage?

Much appreciation in anticipation of a reply.

Comments

• Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 283
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I suspect it depends on the mortgage lender.  Some lenders consider all regular income - including bonuses, commission, overtime.  I expect your dividends would fall in to the same category - Whilst technically not guaranteed, you can demonstrate the 10+ year record
  • I very much doubt it as dividends are never guaranteed and you could sell the underlying investments at any time. 
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,680
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Some lenders will consider some investment income but it is classed as higher risk income.  It could lead to the scenario where it is actually better to sell the investment and not have the mortgage.   That could be the case here as yielding strategy has been out of favour for 15 years.  It has produced lower returns than total return strategies.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,620
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    Will your ISA be used towards the deposit in full or in part? If so, then that knocks it on its head. 
    If not, there are lenders who may use some of it, I dont think it will be possible to use 100% but its not something I have had to research so cant say for sure. 

Another issue however is the lack of UK address history, that severely limits your lending options so to combine the 2 together is going to be a tough ask. I cant imagine you being with a high street lender personally. 
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback