We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.2024 Fashion On The Ration Challenge
Comments
-
Acorn and beech masts can be used to make flour, I think. And/or coffee.Sarahspangles said:I wonder what the dandelion roots, autumn crocus, acorns, beech mast and horse chestnut were for? The second of those is a source of colchicine -maybe wartime pigs had gout?
Roasted dandelion roots are still used as a coffee substitute. Dandelions can also be used in dyeing. IIRC you get yellow from the flowers, green from the leaves and (rather surprisingly, I thought) magenta from the roots.
As for autumn crocus, I thought it was poisonous...A budget is like a speed sign - a LIMIT not a TARGET!!
CHALLENGES
2025 Declutter:
1 CONTAINER (box/bag/folder etc) per day; 50/365
1 FROG (minimum) per week; 6/52
WEIGHT I'll start with 25 lbs (though I need to lose more!) and see how it goes...🤔 0/25
2025 NSDs: 15 per MONTH - FEB 4/15; JAN 21/15
2025 Fashion on the Ration: (carried over from 2024) 10+66 = 76
2025 Make Do, Mend & Minimise No target, just remember to report!
AWARDS 💐⭐8 -
I saw Ray Mears cook acorns, and it was a very long winded process! I didn’t think of dyeing.basketcase said:
Acorn and beech masts can be used to make flour, I think. And/or coffee.Sarahspangles said:I wonder what the dandelion roots, autumn crocus, acorns, beech mast and horse chestnut were for? The second of those is a source of colchicine -maybe wartime pigs had gout?
Roasted dandelion roots are still used as a coffee substitute. Dandelions can also be used in dyeing. IIRC you get yellow from the flowers, green from the leaves and (rather surprisingly, I thought) magenta from the roots.
As for autumn crocus, I thought it was poisonous...My mother, who was born in 1939, taught us to identify pig nuts for their edible roots, she also called new hawthorn shoots ‘bread and butter’ because they used it like salad.Fashion on the Ration
2024 - 43/66 coupons used, carry forward 23
2025 - 62/897 -
Autumn crocus is toxic, but is used as a medicine for rheumatoid arthritis.Fashion on the Ration 2026 Coupons, socks 6, 8 vests 24, cardigan 5, pyjamas 2 16, pants 10, l s vests 3 9 Total 66 + 4
Grocery Challenge 2026 £5 a day for food for 2 Total £1,825
Jan £128.45 -£26.55
Feb £122.55 -£17.45
Mar £154.50 -.50
Apr £144.78 -£5.22
May £151.63 -£3.37
Jun £143.61 -£6.39
Jul £150.76 -£4.24
Aug £139.44. -£15.547 -
This thread is endlessly fascinating. I would never have space for a spinning wheel but have looked thoughtfully at drop spindles... Despite living in Yorkshire, I'm not sure I could easily find enough raw wool for more than one sock a year, but thank you @thriftwizard for capturing the story about the raw wool stockings. The lady must have had a hard life but, I assume, soft hands from all the lanolin!I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)
Fashion on the Ration 2025: Fabric 2, men's socks 3, Duvet 7.5, 2 t-shirts 10, men's socks 3, uniform top 0, hat 0, shoes 5 = 30.5/68
2024: Trainers 5, dress 7, slippers 5, 2 prs socks (gift) 2, 3 prs white socks 3, t-shirts x 2 10, 6 prs socks: mostly gifts 6, duvet set 7.5 = 45.5/68 coupons
20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/226 -
Granny had us collecting raw wool from barbed wire for her chilblains.
The new electric spinning wheels are tiny, @Cherryfudge.Fashion on the Ration 2026 Coupons, socks 6, 8 vests 24, cardigan 5, pyjamas 2 16, pants 10, l s vests 3 9 Total 66 + 4
Grocery Challenge 2026 £5 a day for food for 2 Total £1,825
Jan £128.45 -£26.55
Feb £122.55 -£17.45
Mar £154.50 -.50
Apr £144.78 -£5.22
May £151.63 -£3.37
Jun £143.61 -£6.39
Jul £150.76 -£4.24
Aug £139.44. -£15.546 -
Raw fleece used to be knitted into oversized hats to make them virtually weatherproof as it sheds the water. They are called 'thrums' and the great Sally Pointer makes and sells them but also sells a pattern for knitting your own...
I've used thrums the other way round, knitting a twist of raw fleece collected from the hills into the wrists of mittens so that there's a fleecey cosy draught-stopping inner lining. And I used kapok knitted into the inside of the soles of some thick house-socks for my niece, so her feet were in a thick squishy cosy layer
I'm glad I have so much cosy wool- went swimming this morning in my quarry, water 8ºC and air temp at zero!
Very beautiful in the sun and snow (another couple of inches overnight, on top of 4 inches yesterday) - and we saw a heron catch his breakfast only about twenty feet from us as we swam!
I was glad of a hot drink afterwards- I bought this tiny enamel tin mug from Tebay services a few weeks ago
Just right for a small hot drink!
2025 remaining: 37 coupons from 66:
January (29): winter boots, green trainers, canvas swimming-shoes (15); t-shirt x2 (8); 3m cotton twill (6);
.
2025 second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): None thus far
.
2025 needlework- *Reverse-couponing*:11 coupons :
January: teddybear-lined velvet jacket (11) & hat (0); velvet sleep-mask (0);12 -
It’s a lovely word, Alan Garner’s latest collection is called Powsels and Thrums.Laura_Elsewhere said:Raw fleece used to be knitted into oversized hats to make them virtually weatherproof as it sheds the water. They are called 'thrums' and the great Sally Pointer makes and sells them but also sells a pattern for knitting your own...
I've used thrums the other way round, knitting a twist of raw fleece collected from the hills into the wrists of mittens so that there's a fleecey cosy draught-stopping inner lining. And I used kapok knitted into the inside of the soles of some thick house-socks for my niece, so her feet were in a thick squishy cosy layer
Fashion on the Ration
2024 - 43/66 coupons used, carry forward 23
2025 - 62/898 -
Hi all, I had to go AWOL again but hopefully things are going to be a bit more settled now that the internal building work is just about finished.
It was 2 months ago I last updated my coupons, so a spend to declare and a make to declare also. I made the second pair of socks which I love. I put them into one of the laundry nets so that I could wash them on the wool wash cycle but totally forgot they were there and included them in the general wash. While this wash is a cold water wash, it’s over 2 hours of churning so I now have a pair of slightly felted socks but they are still serviceable. I also discovered another couple of balls of a different colourway, orange/red, lurking at the bottom of my stash -I’m going to try your pattern with that Pip.

Socks before washing/felting! 🤣
Encouraged by the success of the socks I’ve started on a cardigan. Unfortunately I didn’t find a colourway I wanted, (or even sufficient quantity), of the Anika in L1dl, so I headed off to W00l W’hse and got 10 balls of Drops Fabel, Shoreline, along with 6 balls of Drops Fabel, Grey Blue. The Shoreline I’m making into a cardigan while the Grey Blue is for a slipover. So far I’ve done both sleeves and just finishing the second front of the cardigan. I started on the smallest piece first so if I had to unpick due to not understanding the pattern, it would be less to do. 😁
That, if I’m right, is a total of 16 tokens bringing my total to 62. Hopefully that’s all I need to buy this year. I did have a purchase of a pair of jogging bottoms from the charity shop as I needed something to wear when gardening.
I should be able to unpack the sewing machines etc,. so I can start trying to make some of my own clothes too. 😁
Also, I second @Cherryfudge comment about the depth and variety of knowledge on this thread - lots of rabbit holes to delve down! 🤣
Aiming for a Champagne Lifestyle on a Lemonade BudgetDECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN
2023 🏅4*⭐️
2024 🏅💐2*⭐️
2025 ⭐⭐⭐🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅
2026 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅 DD:🏅💐 DS1: ⭐️🏅🏅 DDiL1: ⭐️ DS2: 🏅Gino: 🏅
FASHION ON THE RATION
2024 62/66 coupons
2025 41/66 coupons
2026 48/66 coupons12 -
It is chilly today, -3°C first thing with more snow. I have my woolly hat and a wool chair throw for a shawl, warm pyjamas and bedsocks, a hot water bottle, and a flask of tea. There is no rush to get up. I have a stock of fingerless gloves made from the top part of old socks. A bit of crochet over the cut edge and to divide the thumb and hand part.

DH collected my free, reserved books from the library yesterday.Fashion on the Ration 2026 Coupons, socks 6, 8 vests 24, cardigan 5, pyjamas 2 16, pants 10, l s vests 3 9 Total 66 + 4
Grocery Challenge 2026 £5 a day for food for 2 Total £1,825
Jan £128.45 -£26.55
Feb £122.55 -£17.45
Mar £154.50 -.50
Apr £144.78 -£5.22
May £151.63 -£3.37
Jun £143.61 -£6.39
Jul £150.76 -£4.24
Aug £139.44. -£15.548 -
@dND ouch, ouch on the felted socks. My first pair are on 2.5mm circulars, so I now know that a pair of socks is not in any way a small amount of effort to knit.Could you soak them with a little baby shampoo and re-block? I have just discovered sock blockers, (which haven't been a presence in my life til now, due to the absence of sock knitting).I have another 2 coupons to declare. Wool, (again). I shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a yarn shop.Fashion on the Ration 2026 Coupons 27/66
Stash in: (yarn) 12 coupons
(fabric) 15 coupons
Stash out (yarn): 19.5 coupons 13 x OH socks7
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

