Advice on gas bill

Mrbowie
Mrbowie Posts: 40
Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
Forumite
Hi this is regarding my father in laws gas bill. Winter 22 he ended up in hospital after a fall and subsequently ended up in a care home in January.
He lived alone and his only heating was a gas fire, he had a cooker bit didn't use it.
It seems he had his gas bills estimated not sure how long for. 
So we've been seeing g to his finances and bills with his permission. Earlier in the year we took readings for his gas and electric and rang the relevant companies, he gets gas from British gas, so we gave his reading, recieved a bill for about £350 (I need to dig the actual bill out). So last week we completed on the sale of his house and rang in the final readings, today we got a gas bill for £1567.00 you can imagine our shock. The house has been empty for 12 months, I know there's standing charges but I think the amount they want us ridiculous, I've tried ringing today but list the will to live.
Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,658
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm not sure anyone can offer any help without a lot more detail.
    Mrbowie said:
    So last week we completed on the sale of his house and rang in the final readings, today we got a gas bill for £1567.00 you can imagine our shock.
    What exactly have you been billed for? Have they used the readings you provided? What were those readings and dates?

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Mrbowie
    Forumite
    Basically what I'm saying is we gave a true meter reading to British gas sometime in the summer and paid the bill, so apart from the standing charge he shouldn't have been being billed for gas as there wasn't any being used,  so we can't understand why he's been billed for £1567.00.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,400
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Mrbowie said:
    Basically what I'm saying is we gave a true meter reading to British gas sometime in the summer and paid the bill, so apart from the standing charge he shouldn't have been being billed for gas as there wasn't any being used,  so we can't understand why he's been billed for £1567.00.
    Post the bill (anonymised) 

Or break it down. No one can assist it they don't know what he has been billed for.

Just he was billed over the summer doesn't explain it
  • Maybe a picture of the gas meter with the reading and a copy of this enormous bill with what BG has as the reading (they may have this down as an E for estimate)
    "I can lead you to the money saving well but cannot make you drink from it"

As mum always said "don't respond to imbeciles just ignore them" wise words mum 
  • Mrbowie
    Forumite

Also take into account we paid £300 ish earlier when we took a meter reading and sent it in.

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 11,970
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    What was that meter reading please ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,205
    Forumite
    Looks like it's a catch-up bill because all previous readings were estimated.
  • Mrbowie
    Forumite
    edited 29 December 2023 at 9:00AM
    Robin9 said:
    What was that meter reading please ?
    This is the reading took 2 weeks ago
  • stuhse
    stuhse Posts: 250
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You need to post the previous bill also.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,400
    Forumite
    edited 29 December 2023 at 9:04AM
    Definitely looks like a catch up bill. Prior to 20th December when was the last actual reading given.

You would need to go back through the bills to find it. Perhaps easier if you register the account via their app to see them all unless they are all to hand

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback