What are the potential risk?

Seller sell on ebay.
Seller buy on amazon and put seller address for amazon to post to buyer home address. 

Comments

• Debbie9009
    Debbie9009 Posts: 232
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 28 December 2023 at 2:11PM
    Amazon don’t like you using your account that way and close your account.

The buyer sees it was sent from Amazon and checks the cost from them, are not happy that you have made a profit and leave negative feedback.

I’m sure there are more risks and others will be along to post them.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,847
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Pkman said:
    Seller sell on ebay.
    Seller buy on amazon and put seller address for amazon to post to buyer home address. 

For a start you need to be mindful of the dropshipping rules on ebay, and also of the GDPR regulations.

Secondly as Debbie2009 says, it will be fully branded in Amazon packaging so buyers are notorious at feeling cheated if they realise they failed to research the prices before buying. 

Then also . how do you manage the tracking requirements to protect yourself against an INR, how do you handle returns (and as you will be operating as a business you must also accept change of mind returns) 

Lastly, is there even enough margin for you after taking into account listing fees (no freebies for a business), FVFs, return costs etc.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,361
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Pkman said:
    Seller sell on ebay.

I'm not sure what you plan to buy from Amazon and then sell via eBay, but why wouldn't the eBay buyer also check Amazon prices before placing the order on eBay?
    This drop shipping approach would only seem to be viable if you are listing on eBay something the customer cannot simply buy direct.
    Alternatively, you'd need to bulk buy, receive the bulk deliveries and then sell and dispatch as single items.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,476
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Been more than a handful of threads on here where someone bought on ebay and an Amazon package arrived and yes they
    often check the prices and felt cheated/silly/angry etc. for not checking themselves.

I bought something on ebay not long ago and it never arrived, same item on Amazon with a non UK address and I checked the names
    and all the company and VAT numbers etc. Thought it looks like a different seller, when I got the tracking the start location was the
    same address...  Wrong item arrives...   arrghhhh...

All good in the end though, just took weeks to sort.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head Posts: 7,272
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 31 December 2023 at 3:42PM
    It's been done to death over the years to point where overseas sellers do it for pennies.

eBay say they demote such listings in the search results, if using Amazon Prime then Amazon might not like it but at the same time I've seen seller accounts in the past racking up thousands of sales a month so maybe Amazon see it as a good way to poach customers. 

I don't think GDPR is too much of an issue as you are using the data to fulfil the contract, if you aren't in the UK but are selling to the UK be aware of your VAT obligations or if in the UK that you'd need to register for self assessment if you turnover more than£1000 selling online.

Generally speaking, I'm not sure you'd get much out of it these days and the chances of longevity are slim. 
  • I've bought items from eBay (from the manufacturer's eBay shop) and in the listing they stated items would be shipped from Amazon - that's fine by me, they were upfront about it and I had my reasons for ordering off eBay.

On another occasion I ordered specifically off eBay because the item available on Amazon was a fake.  Paid more, and paid extra for fast delivery.  So you can imagine how annoyed I was when it was the item sent straight from Amazon, and arrived late!  Thankfully got a full refund eventually, but it was a battle as the seller tried to scam me with fake postage labels.

I think if you're going to attempt it, you need to be upfront.  Otherwise buyers may feel deceived so are more likely to return it (possibly even making false SNAD claims, so you have to pay for the return), and it's a really good way to put people off buying from you again.
  • @Pkman what are your thoughts ?
  • Pkman
    Pkman Posts: 67
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks all for replying. 

I was doing it as a few one off. 

Yes most if not all items I ordered was to my home address, and repost it through RM.

As the item for sale on amazon do not hang around. 

But if amazon price stayed the same, I felt I can save a bit of postage. 

The item I bought on amazon are not in a box. So it doesn't have the Amazon tape label. So buyer very unlikely to notice it. If anything last 2 buyers were extremely happy how fast it was delivered. 

And no I am not doing it for much profit. It was a way to spend supermarket gift card to amazon gift card. 

All amex fault for £3k in 3 months spend. 

And yes I do pay tax in UK and base in UK. 

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,847
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Pkman said:
    Thanks all for replying. 

I was doing it as a few one off. 

Yes most if not all items I ordered was to my home address, and repost it through RM.

As the item for sale on amazon do not hang around. 

But if amazon price stayed the same, I felt I can save a bit of postage. 

The item I bought on amazon are not in a box. So it doesn't have the Amazon tape label. So buyer very unlikely to notice it. If anything last 2 buyers were extremely happy how fast it was delivered. 

And no I am not doing it for much profit. It was a way to spend supermarket gift card to amazon gift card. 

All amex fault for £3k in 3 months spend. 

And yes I do pay tax in UK and base in UK. 

That’s a different story to your original post. Buying on Amazon, having items sent to you and then sending to the buyer is a completely different scenario. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 9,975
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It's been touched on but if you buy something on Ebay and it's sent by Amazon it isn't always dropshipping.

As a seller on Amazon I do have other people selling my items on Ebay that are sent by Amazon. It averages about a third higher than I'm selling on Amazon.

I also do sell on Ebay and very occasionally I'll use Amazon fulfillment to fulfill the order with my own stock. In that case the price will generally be the same as on Amazon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback