Patio Door (Fire door?)

Options
JustinTime19
JustinTime19 Posts: 68 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
I need to replace my patio door which is locked from inside but provides access to the communal gardens which is public accessible.
My front door is a fire door, do I need to have this replaced to a fire door (I am ground floor ?)

Thanks

Comments

• BJV
    BJV Posts: 2,535 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It will depend if the entrance to your flat is classed as a protected fire route. ( I am sure it was there for a reason ) 
    How many floors are there? Is there someone who looks after the rest of the building?
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!:A
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Fire doors are to stop fire getting in or out so usually internal to make a space secure.
    Once you're outside that's not a problem and fire is unlikely to start outside.
    They may need to be safety glass but your installer should know.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    By 'patio door' you mean each door is one large glass panel in a sliding frame?

Your patio door is a final exit to a place of relative safety so would never need to be a fire door and in fact you won't find a fire door made like that.

As stated above, a fire door is to prevent the spread of fire and smoke from a burning flat into a protected escape route. In practice, spread of smoke is at least as important as spread of flame. Smoke prevents escape because it is choking and reduces visibility.

On a related point, where are your wheelie bins located?
    It can be tempting to have them right outside the back door. However the advice for bins in a communal courtyard accessible to public is to have them secured (eg in a bin store) at least 2 metres away from the property. Wheelie bins burn fiercely producing toxic fumes. Naughty boys have been known to push bins up to house back doors and set them alight, and occupants have died either because they couldn't escape through the door or they were overcome by fumes entering through windows.
  • Raymond_Powell
    Options
    I live on the third floor of a block of flats, and need a fire door to my flat’s entrance. Should my entrance door be classed as external or internal.  Obviously it would need a lock fitted for security. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback