Nat West 0% credit card application - given a different card

I recently applied for the Nat West 0% credit card with a 14 month repayment time and no transfer fee, and was accepted. When I called yesterday to do a balance transfer it turns out I was given the longer time period with a fee of around 3%. I am 99.9% sure I didn't apply for that one (and of course I should have scrolled to the very end of the t's and c's document) but the guy on the phone said I must have done... wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Either my brain is going or it seems a bit sneaky.

Comments

• retiredbanker1
    retiredbanker1 Posts: 315
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 28 December 2023 at 2:43PM
    Well there is a card offering 0% for 14 months with no fee but were you eligible for that card?
    If not they have given you the card based on their risk algorithm.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,379
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The application process will always tell you that if you don't qualify for the card in particular, they may offer you a similar one when they do the final checks. It sounds like you were given the Purchase & Balance Transfer card which is 17 months with 2.99% fee as you didn't qualify for the 14 month 0% one (assuming you didn't apply by mistake)

• Fingerbobs
    Fingerbobs Posts: 1,621
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I've on occasion been offered a different card from the one I actually applied for, following the hard credit search. It's always been made clear to me during the application, and I was asked whether I wanted to proceed with opening the card. Yes, it's very annoying, but not as bad as a complete decline! I've never been outright declined credit. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback