best platform for day trading

Hi what is the best platform in terms of fees for frequent trading of individual shares?
many thanks
«1

Comments

  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,129
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    MarcoM said:
    Hi what is the best platform in terms of fees for frequent trading of individual shares?
    many thanks
    Something like Trading212 or Freetrade probably. Trading212's FX fee is only 0.15%.
  • Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 283
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'm quite tempted by freetrade but unfortunately they don't trade all the shares I want to.  So I use AJ Bell
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,129
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 28 December 2023 at 11:12AM
    Mark_d said:
    I'm quite tempted by freetrade but unfortunately they don't trade all the shares I want to.  So I use AJ Bell
    Which shares is it lacking? It had been missing some UK small caps but I notice it recently added more, including one of the investment trusts I like. Trading212 has quite a wide range.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,806
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If you are making 50%+ in profit, surely the cost is not relevant, you want the one that is easiest to use?
    Perhaps one that gives the tax relief the quickest?
  • Mark_d
    Mark_d Posts: 283
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    wmb194 said:
    Mark_d said:
    I'm quite tempted by freetrade but unfortunately they don't trade all the shares I want to.  So I use AJ Bell
    Which shares is it lacking? It had been missing some UK small caps but I notice it recently added more, including one of the investment trusts I like. Trading212 has quite a wide range.

    Beximco and J Smart & Co
  • silvercue
    silvercue Posts: 180
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 28 December 2023 at 1:43PM
    I have used eToro for some time now, since 2019.   I am certain it is not the best in terms of history or products.  I know there are many products that they do not support, but for ease of use it is very simple.

    In terms of fees they advertise as commission free.  They will make a little on the spreads, but that seems a bit better now. 

    If you are day trading then overnight fees will not be an issue, but if you are buying leveraged CFDs and not selling at end of day you may be liable for overnight and weekend fees.  They are clearly stated when you open a position and when you look at it after opening.
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,129
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 28 December 2023 at 1:46PM
    If you are making 50%+ in profit, surely the cost is not relevant, you want the one that is easiest to use?
    Perhaps one that gives the tax relief the quickest?
    Tax relief? You're referring to a Sipp? All costs are relevant and why assume 50%+ profits?
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,129
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 28 December 2023 at 1:55PM
    Mark_d said:
    wmb194 said:
    Mark_d said:
    I'm quite tempted by freetrade but unfortunately they don't trade all the shares I want to.  So I use AJ Bell
    Which shares is it lacking? It had been missing some UK small caps but I notice it recently added more, including one of the investment trusts I like. Trading212 has quite a wide range.

    Beximco and J Smart & Co
    No, there're still not on Freetrade. I see LSE:SMJ is on Trading212 but the problem with minnows like that one on T212 is that 1. trades can take a while to execute and 2. with wide bid/offer spreads you don't know what price you'll get. So, yes, probably better with AJ Bell. Helps that AJB is soon to reduce its commission to £5 per trade.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 1,270
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 28 December 2023 at 2:07PM
    No trades in SMJ today so far. Wide spread as illiquid stock. Able to obtain a price though. 
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,129
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hoenir said:
    No trades in SMJ today so far. Wide spread as illiquid stock. Able to obtain a price though. 
    Only has a market cap of £50m.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards