Trading allowance and marriage allowance.

Options
I know the trading allowance is under £1000 turnover (not profit). Does my marriage allowance affect my trading allowance at all or is this a totally separate thing? 

I haven’t worked for a couple of years, so I have transferred my marriage allowance to my husband. 

This year, I have started selling crafts online and had a turnover of about £200, but expenses puts me in minus profit. So decided to cease my online business. 

I have recently returned to employed work, and have requested HMRC to cancel my marriage allowance to my husband. But I believe that I have to wait for the next tax year for this to take effect. 

Therefore, my understanding is that I will have to pay tax on ALL my employed income for the rest of this tax year regardless of how much I earn. But do I still need to do a self assessment for the £200 turnover from my online business? 

I hope all that makes sense. Thank you. 

Comments

• Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    I know the trading allowance is under £1000 turnover (not profit). Does my marriage allowance affect my trading allowance at all or is this a totally separate thing? 

I haven’t worked for a couple of years, so I have transferred my marriage allowance to my husband. 

This year, I have started selling crafts online and had a turnover of about £200, but expenses puts me in minus profit. So decided to cease my online business. 

I have recently returned to employed work, and have requested HMRC to cancel my marriage allowance to my husband. But I believe that I have to wait for the next tax year for this to take effect. 

Therefore, my understanding is that I will have to pay tax on ALL my employed income for the rest of this tax year regardless of how much I earn. But do I still need to do a self assessment for the £200 turnover from my online business? 

I hope all that makes sense. Thank you. 
    Sorry it makes no sense whatsoever.

Why do you believe you have to pay tax on all your employment income?

What do you think happens to your Personal Allowance of £11,310 🤔
  • Completelylosty
    Options
    If I give my marriage allowance to my husband, he gets all my personal allowance. Hence, I will not have any allowance? 
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 December 2023 at 12:44AM
    Options
    If I give my marriage allowance to my husband, he gets all my personal allowance. Hence, I will not have any allowance? 
    No, your allowance is reduced by 10% to £11310, he gets the equivalent of £1260 extra untaxed income.

• Completelylosty
    Options
    Oh, thank you for explaining how the marriage allowance works. I’m easily confused. 
  • Completelylosty
    Options
    And just to confirm that trading allowance and marriage allowance do not affect each other in any way?
    So, I take it that I do not have declare the £200 turnover from my short lived online business then? 
    Thanks 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure