Landline for elderly

Options
My mother has a landline from BT that looks like this first one . Unfortunately she is recently widowed and is finding it too complicated to make calls. I would like to get her something like the second
one. but am not sure if it is compatible and how it would fit with the BT service. Do I just unplug the current phone and then plug in the new one or do I need to contact BT? Any help please.

https://store.ee.co.uk/products/bt-advanced-phone---two-handsets-090639-D9R5.html?ql=7B0J-7B0P-8TC0-8TC3-B02K-B02M-BY4H-BY4J-BY4K-D93J-D93L-D93M-D93N-D93R-D93T-D93X-D9R5-D9R6-D9R7-D9R8-D9R9-D9RB-FK7W-FK7X-G4Z9-G6D2-G6D3-G9YX-GB1L-GMBY-GMC0-GMC1-GMC2-H3N9-H9HZ&src=3

https://www.alzproducts.co.uk/geemarc-cl595-big-button-telephone-with-talking-functions-and-answering-machine

Hope these links work.

Comments

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,595 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just plug it in - should be fine
  • ceewash
    ceewash Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I thought it might be more complicated because the existing phone is a new digital phone using the wifi.?
  • oldernonethewiser
    Options
    That first link takes you to dual handset cordless phones.

Can't see anything to do with wifi.
    Things that are differerent: draw & drawer, brought & bought, loose & lose, dose & does, payed & paid

• GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 27 December 2023 at 8:52PM
    Options
     ceewash said:
    I thought it might be more complicated because the existing phone is a new digital phone using the wifi.?
    Are you sure about that as the details don't suggest it is anything other than an existing old style design plug in phone.

Admittedly there is an ongoing process to migrate to VOIP phones but the one linked to does not look like a VOIP version (at least as far as I can spot) 
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,808 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    ceewash said:
    What do you mean by new digital? Do you mean it is on an FTTP service and plugged into the router (using digital voice) rather than the traditional phone socket on the wall?

Or that it is a DECT cordless device and you are running more than one handset with only the main one plugged into the wall socket?
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,908 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    GrumpyDil said:
     ceewash said:
    Are you sure about that as the details don't suggest it is anything other than an existing old style design plug in phone.

Admittedly there is an ongoing process to migrate to VOIP phones but the one linked to does not look like a VOIP version (at least as far as I can spot) 
    Even if the property has been changed to VOIP, it is possible that the actual phone sockets all work on the same sockets and plugs as previously.

I have to admit, I was nervous about this until our phone was converted to VOIP just before Christmas.  There is a plug on the back of the router for the phone, and that was connected to the master phone socket where the copper line came into the house.  The extensions and telephones that were run from that master socket all work just as they did before the switch.

As a point of note, our installation is Virgin Media however I assume the BT Openreach system will work similarly.
  • ceewash
    Options
    I will need to look into this a bit more.

• tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That second phone looks way more complicated that the first phone. Surely your mother needs something like this: 4618 - DORO PhoneEasy 331ph - corded phone - Currys Business

The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 December 2023 at 3:53PM
    Options
    If your mother has BT ‘Digital Voice’ so the phone plugs into the broadband router rather than the traditional wall mounted phone socket , replacing a ‘cordless’ phone ( which is connects to the base station by DECT not WiFi ) with a ‘big button’ corded phone is just a case of one replacing the other.

If BT supplied a ‘wireless adapter’ the corded phone can plug into that rather than the socket on the router.

• ceewash
    Options
    tacpot12 said:
    That second phone looks way more complicated that the first phone. Surely your mother needs something like this: 4618 - DORO PhoneEasy 331ph - corded phone - Currys Business

Yes that looks great. I'll take a look.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure