Son failing probation.

Comments

• Actually he quite likes interactions with the customers, though they do burn him up as you say.

Its more being very shy around colleagues. As I said their a bit cliquey
  • Actually he quite likes interactions with the customers, though they do burn him up as you say.

Its more being very shy around colleagues. As I said their a bit cliquey
    He hasn't been there very long, I don't think it's unreasonable to be shy around colleagues to be honest. 
    If he doesn't pass I hope he doesn't give up because there will be other places with nicer people who he might click with really well.
  • Just wanted to add on the volunteering front- something to consider if there is one near you is parkrun or junior parkrun, they ask for volunteers on Saturday and Sunday mornings and it’s a great opportunity to not only volunteer but to interact with new people and get used to making chit chat and also doing different things. 
    I’m a volunteer and I have been supporting a 16yo lad who has mild autism who came to us to get some experience of all the above. He has been with us almost a year and the progress he has made is unbelievable. He has gone from struggling to even talk to us to being in the cafe and chatting to participants and other volunteers, it’s so lovely. 
    Debt free as of 2 October 2009
    Mortgage free as of 27 March 2024
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I agree that it could be worth being upfront about his neurodiversity in future: some employers are keen to address such issues.

I wonder if there's a cinema nearby? Perhaps a more limited range of interactions required? Although my experience is of DS1 working for our local small (3 screen) cinema, which was The Best Job in the World for a 6th form student: I can't guarantee that a soulless multiplex would be as good.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • consumers_revenge
    consumers_revenge Posts: 3,545 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Despite trying his hardest, the manager now seems to have 'written him off' so I were drafting his resignation tonight. Its polite so no bridges burnt, just off to seek new opportunities.

Reluctantly we've decided its better to leave on his terms rather than theirs and getting him into January should look better on his CV as he can say that he decided to stay to help cover the busy Christmas period but knows its not for him when at his next interview. Shame as I think he actually quite liked working there just very slow on till work (but he IS improving) and he's learnt a few things and got more experience anyway along the way.

Whilst no ones ever 100% not to blame I have also said the right manager, especially early in a career, really does have a bearing on your experience at a job.

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,556 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Despite trying his hardest, the manager now seems to have 'written him off' so I were drafting his resignation tonight. Its polite so no bridges burnt, just off to seek new opportunities.

Reluctantly we've decided its better to leave on his terms rather than theirs and getting him into January should look better on his CV as he can say that he decided to stay to help cover the busy Christmas period but knows its not for him when at his next interview. Shame as I think he actually quite liked working there just very slow on till work (but he IS improving) and he's learnt a few things and got more experience anyway along the way.

Whilst no ones ever 100% not to blame I have also said the right manager, especially early in a career, really does have a bearing on your experience at a job.

I can understand exactly why your son chose not to disclose his condition, but the 'right manager' is likely to be one who knows the individual they are managing - and not being told the salient facts makes that very difficult.
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • consumers_revenge
    As I said earlier in the conv. His previous employment didnt cause him any real issues so he decided not to include it thinking it wouldnt be an issues again. However longer hours and more time required at a more complicated role (and just being by himself on the tills, often with long queues, highlighted the problems)
  • housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    As I said earlier in the conv. His previous employment didnt cause him any real issues so he decided not to include it thinking it wouldnt be an issues again. However longer hours and more time required at a more complicated role (and just being by himself on the tills, often with long queues, highlighted the problems)
    I feel like he needs to disclose it if it starts causing an issue like this place. The manager can't manage properly if they don't understand why he struggles. Once they know they can try and put in accommodations. 
  • consumers_revenge
    He did tell the manager after it started causing him an issue but its a fair comment.

I think thats the intention this time around and if it does cause a problem in the recruitment process or opportunity then thats probably not the best place for him to go anyway really.

• ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper

Given your earlier questions about benefits, you need to be aware that if he resigns rather than waits to be let go then he will be considered intentionally unemployed and could be sanctioned/not receive anything for (IIRC) up to three months. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback