Son failing probation.

Hi,

Apologies if not quite the right board.

DS has mild autism (18 but 19 next month) so wants to work, but struggles with what most of us would do automatically eg go the extra mile, never look bored, be smiley and confident etc. He likes working but probably doesnt show himself in his best light and is quite shy and introvert. Think more 'the plodder', reliable but slower.

Anyway due to this he's been told he's unlikely to pass probation. He didnt declare autism as he thought is would harm his chances but found longer days too much so asked for some slightly reduced hours and the company agreed to that. He's also going to apply for PIP to help with him struggling with a full time role (we never took any of this during his college or schooling but his struggling shows up much more in the workplace)

He's worked the last six months (this is his second job as july-sept was a fixed seasonal summer holidays type job) and should have employment for the next 3 weeks then his probation is up and likely to fail. He has written to his manager asking if there's areas he can improve on or training (he struggles asking face to face). They previously promised training etc.

I've said not to resign but that might look better on his CV but thats another story. Advice and thoughts would be good from others?

If he is 'let go' due to performance eg 'the plodder' would he be entitled to any benefits? (hes not wanting this long term and really wants to work, but he just needs to find the right thing really and he'll likely flourish). The place he's currently at are a bit 'cliquey' and havent really encourage him for things like using the till etc (hes till trained but not at a kiosk only retail)

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Just a thought...might it be worth him doing some volunteer roles so he can get a feel for what roles he likes?
  • Yeah to be fair we were looking at this prior to this role.

As I said he wants to work which is the biggest thing.
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 2,925
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Just a thought...might it be worth him doing some volunteer roles so he can get a feel for what roles he likes?
    This is a really great suggestion, not all jobs / working arrangements suit everyone, but there will be jobs / working arrangements that will suit your son. Perhaps he'd like something like coding/software engineering where it is him at the computer working through things.

As an example, I like working in an office, talking to people... (Wfh in the pandemic wasn't great). My husband on the other hand can't think of anything worse... He works at home.
  • Yeah to be fair we were looking at this prior to this role.

As I said he wants to work which is the biggest thing.
    Of course I totally understand that he wants to work. Volunteering is a great opportunity to try before you buy so to speak. What does he like doing? What is he good at? Has he tried doing something totally different from what he likes? By this I mean working outdoors if he likes working indoors etc.
  • Turning things around in the last three weeks of a probation period would be tough, especially if it's already been told he's not passing - but now is a good time to think about 'lessons to learn' for the next job. 

I'm thinking things like 'not going the extra mile'; could be a good idea for him to sit down and think about side jobs and actually write a list of things to do when he's got a minute? Because I'm assuming the issue is that it doesn't occur to him at the time, but if he can identify them in advance then they don't become spontaneous extras but part of the job. 

I worked on checkouts for a time a few decades ago, and there were always jobs like cleaning the conveyor, emptying the bin, tidying the bags. And showing willing is as simple as when you do something asking the person on the till in front and behind you if you could do it for them. Stacking shelves, the job I remember no-one really wanted was breaking down the cardboard into the cube compactor thingie... but the easiest was fronting up shelves. 

As for the interacting with customers, again it can help to think in advance some general things to say - I always tried to find one or two products a customer was buying that I could say 'Oh, I've not tried that, is it nice' or 'We buy this all the time' etc. Or commenting about the weather if it's nice. You only have a couple of minutes per person and most don't want to chat anyway, so if he has a few stock lines it should be easier than being spontaneous with each person. 
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,593
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    He certainly shouldn't be hiding his autism during any recruitment phase as it helps if things are in the open and both sides can see if they are a good match.

Companies run schemes and roles specifically around the autistic spectrum.

Large Tech companies in the STEM area are more likely have such schemes if he is that way minded. The NHS also has schemes in many of it Trusts which may also have roles which suit.
  • consumers_revenge
    consumers_revenge Posts: 3,540
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 27 December 2023 at 7:47PM
    He certainly shouldn't be hiding his autism during any recruitment phase as it helps if things are in the open and both sides can see if they are a good match.

I think it was more he did 4x4 hour shifts at where he was working and his autism never really showed up as things like tills were he was literally just scanning customers shoes, asking them to do credit card dab or cash and giving a receipt didnt worry him, where as the high street chain he's in had him working 5.5 hours and manning a till single handed where they want things like 2 lottery tickets, a vape, 20 ciggies, a coupon off all at the same time as buying a packet of pens. I would struggle at that and they literally stuck him on that by himself on the first afternoon with about an hours training. His autism showed more at that point as theres a known condition where autistics burn up their ability to deal with social interaction quicker than most of us. Hence asking for 4x4 shifts again. Although in appraisal they said they would train him after christmas when it was quieter they never mentioned it again so I dont think hes had that fair a chance but also understand the pre christmas rush. I believe he has gained some confidence from the whole customer interaction and shop experience though.

So he doesnt feel like crap, would he be able to claim any benefits whilst he's looking again so he's got some money in his pocket and he doesnt feel like a complete failure (hes not and we tell him repeatedly), I've never claimed it so have no idea where to tell him to start and he'll probably need a hand.

Thanks,
  • Assuming he's just let go at end of probation and not because of anything he did, then yes he should be able to claim either universal credit or new style job seekers allowance (info here: https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/eligibility

Be aware there's a delay before you get your first payment of around 3 weeks, so he will need to put some cash aside from his job to cover any bills. 

I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • No just around poor performance (well their standards anyway)

He doesnt spend loads just normal teenager stuff, so still has most of last 2 months wages and as he's trying happy to help him out.

• housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,151
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 28 December 2023 at 7:43AM
    Is there a job he can do that involves less contact with the public? I understand the social burn out but a shop comes with so much more, like the lights, noises etc - it's a lot! 
    He might not have the skills yet, but if he can get some experience in an office he can open the door for home working or hybrid working which might be much more up this street. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback