Bold leap into retirement

Options

Comments

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think George Osborne's 2014 radical pensions reform plays a part in this. Previously when the only practical route for many was an annuity there was pressure to just keep going
  • Roger175
    Roger175 Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    ColdIron said:
    I think George Osborne's 2014 radical pensions reform plays a part in this. Previously when the only practical route for many was an annuity there was pressure to just keep going
    I totally agree. I think this was a classic case of the law of unintended consequences. Whereas the intention was to put the onus on the individual to take responsibility for their own pension provision, those who fully embraced it now find they have many more options available. 

The way we view things is simply that we needed to accumulate sufficient funds to plug the gap between early retirement and SP age, the pension freedom legislation allows us to manage this very effectively.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    And frees up positions for the young 'uns. A marriage made in heaven :)
  • MetaPhysical
    MetaPhysical Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    <snip>

What are you waiting for?
    In my case I ideally need another year of maxed-out contributions and one year less of not drawing from my pot/funds to give me the just-below higher tax threshold pension income that I want of around £50k pa.  If the situation were desperate enough (it isn't just yet)  then I could go now but I'd rather not just yet, lovely though that would be.  There is also the prospect of VR looming as well which could pay me off a multiple £10k sum so I will keep going for another 12-16 months.
    As per the other thread running on this topic of not letting your time run out before your money does, I 100% get that.  But also have to balance that with being financially prudent as well.
    But 12-16 months I am definitely going, come what may.
  • Smudgeismydog
    Smudgeismydog Posts: 149 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Ooh, @MetaPhysical, that really doesn’t sound good, please look after yourself

I was just reading on another thread that we should be more concerned about running out of time, than running out of money. I feel this is so true.
  • Dew_2
    Dew_2 Posts: 35 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Same @MetaPhysical, I can feel physical symptoms - heart palpitations and bruxism -from having too many plates spinning at work and being spread too thinly. I'm going at the end of the year and maybe before if it gets too much. Health comes first. Take care.
  • LHW99
    LHW99 Posts: 4,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We feel we are too long in the tooth to put up with the BS any more, and we have no desire to ‘play the game’ or climb the greasy corporate pole.

Definately this! We couldn't retire early, as we had never been particularly well paid, so we started our own business. It didn't improve the pay situation (not at first anyway) but it cut the carp immediately. Consequently although the business is now closed (after about 20 years), we still have a few days a month doing what we do for a long-term customer, to help out with staff absences.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback