Fully comprehensive or 3rd party F&T for my old car

I'm looking for some advice. I've been driving for 40+ years and have always gone for fully comprehensive insurance on my cars. However, my present car is a 2015 Ford Fiesta with 130,000+ miles on the clock. I put on an average of 15-18,000 miles per year. It's market value is <£1000. My excess is £200.
I'm thinking about changing my insurance to 3rd party fire and theft. The way I look at it is, if I'm in an accident the car is likely to be written off even if it's still perfectly driveable, e.g. if there's damage to a door, and I'll be paid market value, which might be £500 once the excess is taken off.

But more importantly, I think, I don't want the car to be written off. If it costs me £1000 to fix a damaged door, I'd rather pay that myself than have the insurance company write off the car because it would be a lot cheaper than getting a new car, even a second hand car.
So there's really two questions, 1) should I change to 3rd party f&t and 2) if my insurance company wrote off my car as described above, would I still be able to get it fixed and drive it or would it be classed as not drivable?

Thanks for any advice



Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 341.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards