VAT Calculation

Options
Dear All ,
how i can add vat 5% on purchasing ??
because In my country they calculate VAT like this (VAT On Purchasing )-(VAT On Sales)=VAT I have to pay for government ??..

Comments

• Devongardener
    Options
    Are you buying or selling? Are you VAT registered in the UK, if not you cannot add VAT to sales.
    if you mean you are selling into another country, any VAT due there will be collected from the recipient at the time of import,  you don’t charge it yourself.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,907 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 27 December 2023 at 12:16PM
    Options
    Dear All ,
    because In my country they calculate VAT like this (VAT On Purchasing )-(VAT On Sales)=VAT I have to pay for government ??..
    Are you operating a VAT-registered business?

The calculation will be the reverse of what you wrote:
    Output VAT (sales) - Input VAT (purchases) = VAT payment to HMRC

Where do you get 5% VAT rate from?
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Dear All ,
    Unless you are selling things at a loss in your country you'd normally be VAT on Sales - VAT on Supplies = VAT to be paid to the government

It would normally work the same in the UK if you are VAT registered but there are a few schemes, eg the flat rate scheme, to simply accounting for certain small firms or industries.  So with the flat rate scheme for example you'll simply pay over a fixed percent of your gross sales no matter what VAT you've charged or been charged. 

It would help if you clarify exactly what scheme you are referring to with the 5%
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback