Worcester boiler central heating temp

My Worcester Greenstar Junior boiler has a dial for the central heating temp going from 0 to 7. The heating temp range is 40 to 82 degrees according to the instructions. If I want a temp of about 60 degrees would that be 3.5 on the dial or is it not that simple? Any help appreciated!

Comments

• JSHarris
    JSHarris Posts: 374
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Best bet would be to try and measure the radiator temperature.  Simplest way to do that is with an IR thermometer.  These are pretty cheap and I've found one to be extremely useful.  I have one that cost about a tenner and is still going strong after several years.  Just point it at a radiator or close to the flow pipe from the boiler and adjust the control to see what temperature you get.
  • JSHarris said:
    Best bet would be to try and measure the radiator temperature.  Simplest way to do that is with an IR thermometer.  These are pretty cheap and I've found one to be extremely useful.  I have one that cost about a tenner and is still going strong after several years.  Just point it at a radiator or close to the flow pipe from the boiler and adjust the control to see what temperature you get.
    Fantastic tip - thanks. Soon I shall know the temperature of everything in the entire house!
  • JSHarris
    JSHarris Posts: 374
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    JSHarris said:
    Fantastic tip - thanks. Soon I shall know the temperature of everything in the entire house!

Mine sits on the dining room table and regularly gets picked up to measure things.  It got loads of use when the plague was rampant, as a quick check to see if either of us was running a high temperature.  Only thing to watch with them is that they give a crazy reading if pointed at anything shiny, like glass, a mirror or polished metal (like a chrome towel rail) as they are calibrated to give an accurate reading from surfaces that aren't very reflective.
  • lohr500
    lohr500 Posts: 925
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Or buy a clip on pipe thermometer which in my experience will be more accurate than an IR hand held thermometer. Brannan are a reputable brand and can be bought for not much more than £10. I have two. One on the flow pipe from the boiler and one on the return. Easy to then check and adjust the flow and return temps.
  • lohr500 said:
    Or buy a clip on pipe thermometer which in my experience will be more accurate than an IR hand held thermometer. Brannan are a reputable brand and can be bought for not much more than £10. I have two. One on the flow pipe from the boiler and one on the return. Easy to then check and adjust the flow and return temps.
    I'll probably get both as the IR thermometer will be useful for other things too. Can also test the accuracy which will be interesting.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,256
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    My Worcester Greenstar Junior boiler has a dial for the central heating temp going from 0 to 7. The heating temp range is 40 to 82 degrees according to the instructions. If I want a temp of about 60 degrees would that be 3.5 on the dial or is it not that simple? Any help appreciated!

Min - 40°C
      1  -  47°C
      2  -  53°C
      3  -  61°C
      4  -  68°C
      5  -  74°C
      6  -  80°C
    Max - 82°C

So for a 60°C flow temperature, set the dial to 3.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • gazb_2
    gazb_2 Posts: 51
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    We have the same boiler. What number would you recommend for a bungalow with 9” solid walls with radiators? Thanks 
  • FreeBear said:

Min - 40°C
      1  -  47°C
      2  -  53°C
      3  -  61°C
      4  -  68°C
      5  -  74°C
      6  -  80°C
    Max - 82°C

So for a 60°C flow temperature, set the dial to 3.
    Oh wow so it turns out the photocopied manual I was left with is missing this bit of crucial information. Thanks so much for posting the link!
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,657
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    gazb_2 said:
    We have the same boiler. What number would you recommend for a bungalow with 9” solid walls with radiators? Thanks 
    As low as is comfortable.
    This will involve choosing a lower number when the weather is warm, and a higher one when it's cold.
    It's a manual method of weather compensation.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,233
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    gazb_2 said:

As low as you can get away with. Modern boilers are more efficient at lower temperatures.
    But if the house never gets up to temperature, then it's too low.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback