Taking advantage of cryptocurrency

Options
I have seen a lot of people who often confuse crypto with Ponzi schemes. I can't get but ponder how buying, storing and selling BTC or other cryptocurrencies like ETH, SOL and XRP is related to Ponzi scheme. 
I think it's high time people realize the opportunity in Crypto and tag along. Any thought on this? Feel free to share.

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,863 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think people just see the word crypto and assume its a scam, you wont change their minds.

Solana is well up of late.
  • HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have seen a lot of people who often confuse crypto with Ponzi schemes. I can't get but ponder how buying, storing and selling BTC or other cryptocurrencies like ETH, SOL and XRP is related to Ponzi scheme. 
    I think it's high time people realize the opportunity in Crypto and tag along. Any thought on this? Feel free to share.
    It not a Ponzi scheme. That is very different to cryptocurrency.

Purchasing cryptocurrency is simply buying an asset and hoping that at some point in the future you can sell that asset for a higher price than you purchased it for.

Whether of not you will be able to do so is the source of much debate.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • Veteransaver
    Options
    It's the very definition of a Ponzi scheme really. You can only ever make money by convincing a greater fool to buy your currency. 
    There is no physical asset or future cashflow associated with crypto either, unlike for example most shares.

• HappyHarry
    HappyHarry Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It's the very definition of a Ponzi scheme really. You can only ever make money by convincing a greater fool to buy your currency. 
    There is no physical asset or future cashflow associated with crypto either, unlike for example most shares.

That's not what a Ponzi scheme is.

To quote from Wikipedia: 

A Ponzi scheme (/ˈpɒnzi/, Italian: [ˈpontsi]) is a form of fraud that lures investors and pays profitsto earlier investors with funds from more recent investors.

With cryptocurrency you are purchasing an asset, and the value of that asset fluctuates in response to market conditions. 

I am an Independent Financial Adviser. Any comments I make here are intended for information / discussion only. Nothing I post here should be construed as advice. If you are looking for individual financial advice, please contact a local Independent Financial Adviser.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 December 2023 at 8:20PM
    Options

That's not what a Ponzi scheme is.

To quote from Wikipedia: 

A Ponzi scheme (/ˈpɒnzi/, Italian: [ˈpontsi]) is a form of fraud that lures investors and pays profitsto earlier investors with funds from more recent investors.

With cryptocurrency you are purchasing an asset, and the value of that asset fluctuates in response to market conditions. 

What market conditions determine the value of cryptocurrency other than supply and demand though?   
  • Vectis
    Vectis Posts: 692 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The op's first is to try to talk up the purchasing of crypto.

Can we expect some follow-ups of offers to invest people's money or advice on where to invest?
  • MoneyDany
    Options
    I share your view that there is potential to make money by investing and holding cryptocurrencies. But, there is a higher risk of falling prey to Ponzi schemes in the crypto space. 
  • jamest88
    Options
    It works on supply and demand the exact same way as stocks and shares work. Some of the technology in crypto is crazy but it is so new and not adopted yet. I’m keeping an eye on chain link as I think without a way to communicate between websites and the crypto networks then most of the projects down have many real life use cases. With chain link it would be possible to hook into the gov database of house sales and automatically pay out to the correct people as soon as the contracts are signed online. This could speed up so many industries in the future. As a software dev it gets me very excited but trying to explain some of the complexities of it to non technical people is hard. 

Most people have only heard bad things on the news such as SBF FTX etc and won’t do any more research themselves. Been in crypto since 2017 and wish I had bought a full bitcoin. Kicking myself now!
    Software developer
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure