Christmas Card Etiquette

Options
Hi - a bit late for this year - but...

I like sending cards - some handmade - but am also mindful not to just keep sending regardless - currently do about 70 and get 40+ back (but some are to kiddies or older folk that I don't expect a return card from).

I was wondering what is the way of handling some people that now notify that they are stopping doing cards and donating to charity instead? 
Do they still get a card - or do you just stop sending too? 
I have stopped with one person - but another friend I think I'll continue - but wondered what the 'correct' way would be?

Comments

• Cloth_of_Gold
    Options
    Why can’t people donate to charity and send a card?  Personally, I like sending cards and although I also like receiving them you don’t give to receive, so if I was going to send someone a card I would do so whether they sent me one or not. 
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    and personally I don't like getting cards! What a waste of postage for starters- different story if we are talking about birthday cards. One friend has hers sitting in a pile- they never get displayed!

I have asked folk not to send them... but some persist!  I try to phone the people (during the year too) and email very many regularly . I am happy to send Jacquie Lawson e-cards & to receive them- they are not after all, a bit of tat!

Sorry, I am not suggesting your handmade cards are tat! One friend always sends a card that is printed from one of her watercolours and I sometimes frame those.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    The cards we get are from my OH's 4 cousins, a couple of mutual friends and then my friends and workmates.  I think most of them are unnecessary and certainly wouldn't want to have someone feel pressured to send them given the cost alone.  I'm happy to post a greeting online - either on face book or by emailing.  

What I do really hate though is cards that are posted without a return address.  Nearly 6 years after moving in to this house we have still got a card for the previous owners - nothing we can do as there's no return address.  Likewise we got a card for MiL who died over a year back.  Can't tell this old friend of hers that she's dead because there's no address.  Really makes me sad.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • welshbabe88
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.  I enjoy doing card - and am quite happy not to receive one in return.

I get your comment about return addresses Brie - something for me to remember.

I like stringing up my cards received as part of the Xmas decorations.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    fyi - i used to print labels with the addresses I was sending to and a set with the return address.  Saved my hand from cramping up when I used to help MiL do her big pile of cards!!
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Every card I send has my return address on the back. I have discovered that someone has died or moved that way.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • Abbafan1972
    Abbafan1972 Posts: 6,895 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well l used to send a lot of Xmas cards out but I stopped years ago because of the postage costs. I send cards to my work colleagues, ve all work from home but went out for a meal together last -week, so was able to hand deliver them and just had to post the one, due to her not being able to make it.

I send a few cards to the neighbours but don't display them I got rid of my card holders, I just put my family cards up. I actually think they clutter the place up. They just end up in the recycling afterwards anyway. 

Funnily enough I got a card from someone I knew years ago this year saying we rust catch up is in the new year but there's no contact details, I used to have her details, but my address book got last years ago, so can’t send a reply. She even knew something that happened recently, which I only wrote on facebook and she's not a friend of mine on facebook. So It'S mind boggling.

Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £43,915.98
  • Cloth_of_Gold
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.  I enjoy doing card - and am quite happy not to receive one in return.

I get your comment about return addresses Brie - something for me to remember.

So do we. You can hardly do that with an e-card or a Facebook post can you? It’s also ice that someone has made the effort. 
  • welshbabe88
    Options

So do we. You can hardly do that with an e-card or a Facebook post can you? It’s also ice that someone has made the effort. 
    Yes - I've graduated to that sticky stripe stuff now - and I also have some tiny pegs to hold them firm.
  • Cloth_of_Gold
    Options

Yes - I've graduated to that sticky stripe stuff now - and I also have some tiny pegs to hold them firm.
    We just stand them on ledges (some with a little bit of sellotape on the back to help them stay up) or on furniture.  It just makes the place look a bit more festive.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback