Unable to get credit of any sort from Barclays only

Options
Hi. Slightly odd one this and not sure if anyone can help me. My credit file is almost spotless, I have quite a lot of credit but have never missed a credit payment. I did miss a water bill 4 years ago though so have 1 missed payment there. 

I have no problems getting credit from anyone except Barclays. I used to be self employed 3 years ago, and back then Barclays was fine. I had about 10 loans from them over several years for apple products for all my family, never missed a payment. 

As soon as I went employed with a very large finance company, my salary doubled, but now Barclays refuse me every time. I was able to appeal 1 Apple loan and they gave it me, but some of them you can’t appeal. I’ve even moved bank to Barclays to see if that helps, I’m a premier customer with them, but still no dice. I used to have Barclaycard with a huge limit and paid off in full every month too, and now they keep sending me emails trying to sell Barclaycard, but then they refuse me that too. 

They won’t tell me anything except the usual rubbish about checking credit file, but it’s clean apart from 1 miss 4 years ago, and everyone else throws money at me. 

Any idea how I can sort this out?

Comments

• MorningcoffeeIV
    Options
    You can't, if you're not meeting their criteria.

Check all your files to make sure that there's not anything worse than your missed payment, but other than that, apply to a lender who will accept you.
  • Dallybally
    Options

Check all your files to make sure that there's not anything worse than your missed payment, but other than that, apply to a lender who will accept you.
    I can live without the card, but the issue is they do a lot of in store loans, furniture etc, you don’t get a choice with those, Amazon too they give you a flex account for spending there interest free, no choice in lender and you can’t appeal that. 
  • Dallybally
    Options

Just checked Experian too, can’t see full report but the meaningless score is 999, so presume nothing bad in there. It’s 1000 with clearscore. 
  • Dallybally
    Options
    Also just remembered my wife now also gets refused, she had plenty with them at Apple too. Can they blacklist the address? They claim not to have any black or white list. 
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,056 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Have you supplied them with proof of your income?  That might help.  I do know that they went through a big exercise of cutting their liability by slashing the available credit for many people, like myself, who had a card with them for years.  (£20k down to £1400!!!)  I expect they take a similar strong view on loans.

The other thing to take into account is what credit you currently have available to you.  So if you have a card with £10k available that will count even if you aren't currently using it.  Likewise for store loans - I recently applied and got a 0% payment plan with B&Q as we're getting a new kitchen.  They've given me a limit twice what's required for an entire kitchen for all the kit and fitting.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Is the very large finance company in anyway linked to Barclays?

Either way. It makes no difference. Plenty of other lenders out there. Which would be a good test to see if you get declined elsewhere.

But one thing that jumps out. 
    salary doubled & lots of loans.
    Just what % of debt do you have to income?
    Life in the slow lane
  • MorningcoffeeIV
    Options
    Also just remembered my wife now also gets refused, she had plenty with them at Apple too. Can they blacklist the address? They claim not to have any black or white list. 

That's because there's no black or white list.

It's worth checking your actual files, especially with your suspicious 'maximum' scores. Perhaps your files are now empty.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,106 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have quite a lot of credit but have never missed a credit payment. 
    People rarely do until they cannot. Lenders will view your record from a very different direction. 
  • Dallybally
    Options
    Is the very large finance company in anyway linked to Barclays?

Either way. It makes no difference. Plenty of other lenders out there. Which would be a good test to see if you get declined elsewhere.

But one thing that jumps out. 
    salary doubled & lots of loans.
    Just what % of debt do you have to income?
    No, not affiliated. % is tiny, owe maybe 10k on “cards” although half of that is PayPal 0% but it shows as a card. Pay the other off in full each month but at any one time there’s about 5k on it. Got maybe £1k loan showing for sofa. Just got another 4k loan for a sofa no problem. It’s literally only Barclays that have an issue. When they said no to the Apple loan I got a 0% purchase credit card with 20k limit no problem from RBS. 
  • Dallybally
    Options

That's because there's no black or white list.

It's worth checking your actual files, especially with your suspicious 'maximum' scores. Perhaps your files are now empty.
    I have with equifax via clearscore, all fine. Using maybe 10% of credit, only the 1 missed payment 4 years ago. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback