IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Never seen a parking ticket but now have letter from dcb legal Ltd.

I've never seen a parking ticket on my car. I would have paid it if I'd seen it. Now just before Christmas I have a letter from dcb legal Ltd saying I owe £170 to their client, for parking in St Stephens Place, Trowbridge, in August, which is free for about 3 hours, so not as if I wouldn't have got a free ticket anyway.
I did move house so could have missed a letter, but I definitely never had a parking ticket on my car and I don't remember never getting a ticket from the machine.

The letter looks dodgy, as just provides ways to pay up, but nothing about how they have proof.
I'm disabled and can't afford £170. I'm under the impression that the Citizen's Advice Service is useless and will tell me to pay all that, even if I don't need to? Would I be entitled to legal aid with a proper solicitor? I'm quite worried.

It's what nightmares are made of, where you suddenly have a letter demanding lots of money for something you didn't know about.

Their details are:
dcb legal Ltd
Civil & Commercial Litigation Solicitors
Direct House
Greenwood Drive
WA7 1UG
0203 838 7038
[email protected]
Their Client: UK Parking Control Limited

Comments

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 57,967
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 24 December 2023 at 12:37AM
    Why on earth would you even consider paying an unregulated private parking company referred to as rogues, scammers, and bloodsuckers by UK MPs across all parties in open debate?

If you have moved, did you update your details for your address with the DVLA for your driving licence, AND your vehicle V5C? If not, you could be liable for a real £1000 penalty for both failures.
    If this is the case, get thee and update things asap, which can be done easily online.

What precisely does the letter from DCB Legal say? Is it perhaps a Letter of/before Claim? If so, the process is covered in the second post of the sticky Announcement for NEWBIES.

Plan A is always a complaint from the keeper to the landowner and the keeper's MP, and it is never too late to do so.
    Since you have now missed Plans B and C, the two stage appeal process, you need to prepare for court. This forum has an exemplary record of beating these unregulated companies, and there is a thread running by forum regular @Umkomaas that has recorded over two hundred court cases where UKPC and DCB Legal have folded before a hearing. You just need to stay strong and follow the advice given here.

Get stuck into the guide to court written by bargepole that you will find in the second post of the sticky Announcement for NEWBIES, plus the template defence sticky Announcement that contains a 95% ready written defence for you to use.

Where did the alleged event occur? It may have cropped up here before.

I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 129,234
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 24 December 2023 at 12:34AM
    I would have paid it if I'd seen it.
    Surely not. You don't pay private parking charges.  They aren't fines and are not to be paid.  You don't need a solicitor and can't get legal aid.  You don't need any of that.

You wait till you get a court claim and you defend it using our template. Dead easy.

Then DCBLegal discontinue six months later.  No hearing. No risk. 

AS LONG AS YOU CORRECT YOUR ADDRESS...

The reason you didn't get a postal PCN is because your car is still registered to your old address.  The PPC and DCB Legal still 
    hold your old address and the new one they traced.

THAT IS A HUGE CONCERN!

You MUST use the parking company's data privacy webpage and tell their DPO to 'erase' your old address and to tell DCB Legal to do the same (obviously not by phone).

That's your only risk. The old address being held as a choice for them to use when it comes to the court claim.  You must get that old address off their databases.

And you must update your V5C with the DVLA.

PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Ok thank you I will look for the template. It might seem silly to you that I will pay them, but when you're threatened with more fines if you don't pay, it's worrying. I have autism and get easily stressed about things like this, so forgive me if I appear stupid.
    I'm frightened that court action will cause me to have a county court judgement, which affects many things, and I find life difficult enough.
    You say wait for a court claim. If I wait for a court claim, will that be on my financial record like a CCJ?

The letter says: This is a formal Letter of Claim in accordance with the pre Action Protocol for Debt Clams.
    The letter also says:
    Within 30 days of the date of this letter, you should either make payment using one of the methods detailed or complete the Reply Form and financial statement.  Failure to do so is likely to result in a claim being issued without further notice.
    Should I complete the Reply Form?

It also says: Your attention is drawn to the Civil Procedure Rules 1998 and the Court's power to impose sanctions if you fail to pay or respond. Any such failure will be brought to the attention of the Court when considering costs. Any non-compliance with the Rules can increase liability for costs.

Yes I did update my details with the DVLA but there might have been a crossover.

It was when I was parked in ST Stephens Place Leisure Park, Trowbridge, BA14 8AH.You get a ticket for about 3 hours of free parking, and there's no reason why I wouldn't have had a free ticket. Their client is UK Parking Control Ltd

However dcb legal Ltd look like a legitimate legal firm.

• Yes I have now updated my details with the DVLA of my driving licence and log book. Plus I no longer own that car as it was scrapped. Do I still need to contact dcb legal Ltd to tell them to take my old address off their database or not bother, if DVLA have my new details?

Because of my autism I'm tempted to just pay the £170 from fear of more threatening letters.
    Should I fill in their reply form?

People are saying just wait for the letter from the Court, but will that give me a CCJ? Dealing with a Court sounds more stressful than paying money I don't have, but then I'd rather not pay it if I don't have to.

• Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 57,967
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You can't get a CCJ unless you have,

Been to court
    Lost
    Failed to paid the required amount with in the mandated timeframe.

All of this is within your control to prevent it from happening.

Even if you went to court and lost, you wouldn't have to pay much more than the amount currently being demanded, much of which is fake, so there is no reason to pay, and no reason not to defend a claim.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Coupon-mad
    Forumite
    You say wait for a court claim. If I wait for a court claim, will that be on my financial record like a CCJ?
    No.

This is what we help people defend every day.  Nobody here gets a CCJ by following our advice or using our template defence.

But yes - you MUST just email DCB Legal and the DPO of the parking firm (both) to ERASE your old address because you can't trust these firms not to use it for the claim, unless they erase it.
  • SSmith99
    SSmith99 Posts: 15
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 24 December 2023 at 1:12PM
    Can I go over the basics again to put my mind at  rest? So if I don't reply to dcb legal Ltd, I will get a demand from the court? Yet that demand won't go on my financial records? Would that demand incur more costs? I can't use the template on here until I get the demand from the court?

Would I be better off just paying the £170 they're demanding and accept it was my fault for there being a crossover since I changed my details at DVLA? I don't remember never getting a parking ticket there though. Unless it was because I drove through, saw there were no spaces and went again.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 21,927
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The advice from others is quite clear DO NOT PAY!  The time to pay is after a court case IF you lose.  You do not get a demand from the court (actually it isn't a court) but from an admin clearing house called CNBC.  That will not go on any financial record.  The only thing that will go on a record would be a CCJ if you were to lose that court case and then fail to pay within the timescale set by the judge.  You are a long way from that.  DO make sure you correct your address for licence and V5C with the DVLA (can be done on-line but separately) and then send the Data Rectification Notice to the DPO of the parking company as advised above.
    How can you remember never getting a ticket?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,138
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Now just before Christmas I have a letter from dcb legal Ltd saying I owe £170 to their client
    A predictable move at the most stressful time of the year for many people. It's a strategy they adopt to add further stress in the hope (and in many cases, expectation) that the motorist will take the line of least resistance and capitulate for an easy (if expensive) life, opening up their wallet for the Christmas thief to help itself. We see it every year at this time.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Coupon-mad
    Forumite
    edited 24 December 2023 at 5:59PM
    If you don't reply to DCB Legal, you leave them with a choice of 2 addresses.

I've replied twice to explain why you must not let that situation remain.   Easily resolved, two emails.

You want the court claim but you must receive it at the right address first.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback