Barclaycard account closed immediately, concerned about consequences i.e. CIFAS marker [Merged]

13»

Comments

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    grumbler said:
    grumbler said:

By closing the account without a notice they obviously imply that either "you’ve broken this agreement regularly or seriously" or "you have acted fraudulently". Neither is true, but they don't care.
    The OP may have done the first of those two "you’ve broken this agreement regularly or seriously" by the frequent recycling of the same funds via Curve and savings accounts to generate high points rewards.
    I'm curious, what exactly parts of the T&C the OP has broken?
    The only remotely relevant bit I see is
    You can use your card to make transactions such as cash withdrawals, purchases, balance or money transfers and any other use that we allow, including using another service provider to make an online payment on your behalf, with your permission.

I simply quoted back your comment and said that may have been broken, based upon the OP's own statement that they were creating manufactured spend purely for the purpose of earning excess points.
  • So I received my CIFAS SAR back which I applied for on Thursday. It shows nothing at all bar a search from one of my savings accounts providers. Nothing from Barclaycard. This was around 10 days after my account was closed, my understanding is that if fraud is presumed fraud then the bank need to register within 24 hours on the CIFAS database. 

Is this correct? And therefore should I take this result as the final one? I’ll reapply in mid January just to be sure. 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Where are you sourcing the 24 hours requirement from?
  • I’ve read online that a requirement is for a bank or institution to place the marker on within 1 business day or 24 hours. It’s just what I’ve read. Do you know any different? I don’t see why it wouldn’t be near immediate if fraud is suspected. 
  • And found someone on this forum (an old post) which says “ The CIFAS rules require a member to load the entry on to the database with 1 business day of the standard of proof being met.”
  • eskbanker
    I’ve read online that a requirement is for a bank or institution to place the marker on within 1 business day or 24 hours. It’s just what I’ve read. Do you know any different? I don’t see why it wouldn’t be near immediate if fraud is suspected. 
    No, I don't know any different, it was just an open question, not a loaded one!  I hadn't heard it before and didn't see anything in a quick search, so just wondered if there was any authoritative source for the comment....
  • It’s very hard to find online but the comment from another forum member I quoted above sounded like they know what they were talking about. It also kind of makes sense, if something as serious as fraud is presumed then the aim of the database is to alert other providers so the individual has limited access to bank and credit accounts. So updating the database as soon as there’s enough ‘proof’ (even though many CIFAS markers are entirely incorrect) makes sense. 
  • eskbanker
    Yes, I wasn't disputing that prompt updating makes sense, but that's not the same as having some sort of legal or regulatory obligation to comply with a specific deadline.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback