Backboiler open fire (I know they're rubbish)

Options
We've moved into a house and fully intend to switch all this out for a log burner, but that's a job for next year after some saving 

In the mean time we have this back boiler in the open fireplace. I know the exploding risks, previous owner said she sometimes liked a coal fire, we like the cosy feel of a fire, but I'm maybe terrified of the backboiler. I want to assume it's safe, anxiety is high though.

I contacted someone who was a wet system dude recommended on HETAS. He said theres capped pipes and he's not sure what they're from, could be old range, could be backboiler. Have a small fire and see if the other pipes warm up. So we got the  chimney swept, I've not had the hot water or heating on since 8am, lit a small fire an hour ago and there is a warm pipe in the airing cupboard.

I'm still so nervous of this thing though! Can anyone reassure me that I'm just being soft.

Comments

• smallblueplanet
    smallblueplanet Posts: 1,109 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 21 December 2023 at 7:53PM
    Options

Quick google gives:

"The back boiler features a cold water inlet source located at the bottom. The heat exchanger then heats this cold water and sends it to the output using an electrical pump. To make sure pressure doesn’t build up, hot water is kept in a hot water cylinder that features an overflow vent.

Risks associated with back boilers 

There are also some risks associated with back boilers. 

Back boilers have a life expectancy of 20-30 years. However, as the boiler ages, the risks associated with back boilers only increase. 

• When a back boiler is reused after being out of use for an extended period, residual water heats up and creates pressure which can be very dangerous.
    • As the fireplace is close to the boiler, the heat and gas trapped in the fireplace without the use of a flue pipe can cause the boiler to explode.
    • Poor ventilation and a lack of access to fresh air can result in toxic fumes building up in the home.
    Whilst these occurrences are rare, if you do observe your back boiler overheating or suspect any other problems, call a heating engineer immediately. "

https://www.boxt.co.uk/boilers/guides/are-back-boilers-now-illegal

Oooh lots of warnings and info here - think this is v important.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/services/localgovernment/boilers.htm
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    If your HETAS fitter couldn't give you a definite answer in person, with full access to the property, it suggests it's going to need some careful investigation.
    This warm pipe of yours. What is it connected to? Does it feel as though it's full of water? Does it sound full, if you tap it gently?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • timehastoldme
    Options
    It doesn't sound hollow, this is the pipe, there's loads of stuff coming off

It feeds to this

And these are the capped pipes

They run next to the warm pipe
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    If the pipe connects to that expansion tank, it should be open at the top and there shouldn't be any way to pressurise the boiler and cause an explosion.
    There are two "should" and "shouldn't"s in that sentence. I certainly can't be certain from here!
    The capped pipes look to have simply been cut off with tinsnips or smilar. I can't see anything to suggest that they're actually sealed, although again it's impossible to be certain remotely.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • timehastoldme
    Options
    Thank you, I appreciate you taking the time to comment, we're trying another small fire and seeing what happens in the pipes again. The back boiler does get warm when the heating is on so we're 90% it's connected, guess I just have to see how jumpy it makes me.

That and get it replaced when we can afford it. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback