S75 and theatre tickets

Options
housebuyer143
housebuyer143 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
edited 21 December 2023 at 5:14PM in Reclaim bank & credit card charges
I went to the theatre yesterday and as soon the show started, liquid started dripping through the ceiling above and throughout the entire first half I was covered by liquid like a light drizzle.
This really detracted from the show because I was trying to get help from the steward during the performance and had 4 different people talk to me through the show and I was getting wet!
By interval, my bag was wet from being on the floor, the floor was soaking with sticky liquid as were my shoes and trousers. I think someone above spilled their whole drink and it slowly made it's way down.

We got moved at interval but up to worse seats further back.

I complained today to be offered 2 free drink vouchers on my next visit. Apparently this is sufficient compensation to being covered in sticky liquid for half a show and then having to move to cheaper seats. I refused this as I only go every few years and have had no further response asking for a partial refund.

Can I use s75 with my credit card company to get a partial refund on this or is this not possible with theatre tickets?

Comments

• TadleyBaggie
    Options
    How much were the tickets? If the individual tickets cost less than £100 then S75 isn't applicable (but chargeback maybe).
  • housebuyer143
    Options
    How much were the tickets? If the individual tickets cost less than £100 then S75 isn't applicable (but chargeback maybe).
    I bought both and it was over £100 for them. All done in one transaction. Both of us where affected by this.
  • penners324
    penners324 Posts: 2,741 Forumite
    Options
    I doubt that's covered by S75.

Why sit there for an hour or so getting covered coke? Just move 
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,820 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

A bit hard if surrounded by other people and no staff in sight.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought both and it was over £100 for them. All done in one transaction. Both of us where affected by this.
    Is it £100 each or over £100 total for 2? If it's £100 total only by combining two tickets it's not covered by S75

You could try a chargeback but the venue will likely dispute this and reverse it

It might be better actually to write to one of the newspaper columns that covers stuff like this to see if they can push the venue for a refund in part at least
  • housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,343 Forumite
    edited 21 December 2023 at 5:59PM
    Options

Move to where? The place was full. We only got different seats because at the internal they pulled up some random chairs and let us sit in them. 
    Can't really resolve this in the middle of act one.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,464 Forumite
    Options
    I went to the theatre yesterday and as soon the show started, liquid started dripping through the ceiling above and throughout the entire first half I was covered by liquid like a light drizzle.
    This really detracted from the show because I was trying to get help from the steward during the performance and had 4 different people talk to me through the show and I was getting wet!
    By interval, my bag was wet from being on the floor, the floor was soaking with sticky liquid as were my shoes and trousers. I think someone above spilled their whole drink and it slowly made it's way down.

I complained today to be offered 2 free drink vouchers on my next visit. Apparently this is sufficient compensation to being covered in sticky liquid for half a show and then having to move to cheaper seats. I refused this as I only go every few years and have had no further response asking for a partial refund.

Can I use s75 with my credit card company to get a partial refund on this or is this not possible with theatre tickets?
    I would go back & say what about the costs of cleaning the cloths etc.

S75 covers breach of contract misrepresentation for items (so each separate ticket has to be over £100 upto £30K) So you paid for a ticket to see a show, & that is what you got. Sadly with a free sticky shower.
    Even a chargeback is not going to cover this.

100% for theatre to cover. Just need to push harder. 👍
    Life in the slow lane
  • housebuyer143
    Options

I would go back & say what about the costs of cleaning the cloths etc.

S75 covers breach of contract misrepresentation for items (so each separate ticket has to be over £100 upto £30K) So you paid for a ticket to see a show, & that is what you got. Sadly with a free sticky shower.
    Even a chargeback is not going to cover this.

100% for theatre to cover. Just need to push harder. 👍
    Thank you.. I'll go back and push some more as S75 seems a no go. I at least want the difference between the seats I ended up in and the ones I paid for. Appreciate your reply. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback