Getting on track

Options

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,974 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    @LeedsOnTheUp

The GDPR (General Data Protection Regulations) have given a lot more clout to Joe and Jane public to decide how a company can contact them.

Absolutely you can ask for contact in writing only, you should also tell them to remove your phone number from their records as well, basic rule of thumb, if you think it will help, then do it.

Although keep in mind its the computer that dials your number, and it sometimes rings when there isn`t a person there to initiate the call, you can simply hang up or block the number, but as I said, if it helps, then do it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

OK, this seems very reasonable. Would i still be able to write to them telling them to only contact me in writing or would this also delay? This would certainly help me with the mental health side of things.
    That's a good idea.

Just be realistic. It takes a little time for the computer to get updated with your requirements. If you do get a human on the end of a phone line, remind them of your request and ask that they update the records whilst you are on line, in line with legal requirements. 

They may not have any more control over who they speak to than you have. So it's not always bad behaviour of the individuals part, even if their employer doesn't prioritise updates.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • LeedsOnTheUp
    LeedsOnTheUp Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    So I take it from these comments that I can't just ignore any calls I receive until defaulted? I was rather hoping I could do that.

Also, I want to create a basic bank account with royal bank of Scotland as they are not tied to anyone that I have credit with. I have seen others say that it is a bad idea to do a current account switch, but they would offer 200 quid for doing so. Should I take advantage of the offer or not?
  • 2021rdsunshine
    Options
    You definitely can ignore the phone calls, they will write to you about defaults and you can always look at your credit file to see if a default has been applied towards your debt 
  • backinbusiness
    Options
    And don't use the Switch service either - you have to do it manually x 
    DF :grin:
  • LeedsOnTheUp
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

OK, thank you. Just for my knowledge, what classifies as a basic bank account? I have a chase account and have been manually transferring direct debits to that but I saw something about basic accounts always showing a balance of 0 when checked externally which is what I want. Would a chase account be OK for this?
  • backinbusiness
    Options

OK, thank you. Just for my knowledge, what classifies as a basic bank account? I have a chase account and have been manually transferring direct debits to that but I saw something about basic accounts always showing a balance of 0 when checked externally which is what I want. Would a chase account be OK for this?
    Chase currently don't offer an overdraft facility in the UK, so this would be ideal. Appreciate there's not a lot of spare cash floating around right now, but it's good for lots of little pots (accounts) that make budgeting easier; the round-up facility which means you can save a little without really noticing, and decent savings rates for when you do have the beginnings of your emergency / fighting fund.  Good luck OP.  BiB x 
  • LeedsOnTheUp
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Can I ask why this is the case please? Before seeing the advice I initiated a switch to Chase which I requested to be cancelled but upon contacting again today they are saying it is still ongoing. I have another account I can use if necessary but Chase was the best in terms of budgeting.
  • backinbusiness
    Options

Can I ask why this is the case please? Before seeing the advice I initiated a switch to Chase which I requested to be cancelled but upon contacting again today they are saying it is still ongoing. I have another account I can use if necessary but Chase was the best in terms of budgeting.
    Hi Leeds - using the Switch service means that all your Direct Debits will move to your new account - which you don't want.  BiB x
  • LeedsOnTheUp
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Hi Leeds - using the Switch service means that all your Direct Debits will move to your new account - which you don't want.  BiB x

Sorry if im sounding thick here but why not? I already cancelled the ones to my creditors so surely moving the rest over shouldn't be a problem?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback