Barclaycard - PRA

Hi, my Barclaycard defaulted a couple of months ago, when barclaycard sent confirmation of the default, they said they had sold it to PRA and provided their contact details. I haven’t heard anything since although had a notification today of an update to my credit report, I don’t take any notice of my credit score but the notification said it had improved as an account had been closed (Barclaycard). Is this just standard practice following a default? It’s my first one so just checking the usual process? Thanks so much in advance. 

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,600
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    As it has been sold on. As far as Barclaycard go the account is closed.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Likely as not there will be a new entry from PRA for the defaulted account in due course.
    Debt List ( 15 / 02 / 2024 ) :

Capital One (26.4%) CC - £299.75

Leap Day 2024 - the day of freedom. The day my pernicious debts will finally die.

Legacy Default dates :
    Mr Lender - 31/10/2022
    Fund Ourselves - 22/12/2022
    Bamboo - 30/3/2023
    Likely Loans - 14/4/2023
  • Mine was sold to PRA and it took a while for the new default to come through. I think I got a letter from PRA though fairly quickly giving me their details for how to pay them. 
  • before you start paying pra, make sure you request the credit agreement from them. They never managed to obtain mine so ive never paid them a bean, six years have gone by so its now statute barred, saved myself £5k 
  • Sly72
    Sly72 Posts: 112
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    before you start paying pra, make sure you request the credit agreement from them. They never managed to obtain mine so ive never paid them a bean, six years have gone by so its now statute barred, saved myself £5k 
    My card was taken out in 2010 and they provided the CCA, so i just logged online to my PRA account and set up a payment amount, min they will accept is £5 a month no questions asked.
    I have Dyslexia which is a learning difficulty that primarily affects the skills involved in accurate and fluent word reading and spelling so some post may not make sense.
  • Sly72 said:
    before you start paying pra, make sure you request the credit agreement from them. They never managed to obtain mine so ive never paid them a bean, six years have gone by so its now statute barred, saved myself £5k 
    My card was taken out in 2010 and they provided the CCA, so i just logged online to my PRA account and set up a payment amount, min they will accept is £5 a month no questions asked.
    my card was taken out in 2010 as well, they only produced the CCA but failed to provide historic statements. they said it is now unenforceable because of that.
     did you get both? as by law of the consumer credit act they have to provide both.
    see my post about link financial failing on that reason 
    pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
  • Sly72
    Sly72 Posts: 112
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 22 December 2023 at 8:44PM
    Sly72 said:
    my card was taken out in 2010 as well, they only produced the CCA but failed to provide historic statements. they said it is now unenforceable because of that.
     did you get both? as by law of the consumer credit act they have to provide both.
    see my post about link financial failing on that reason 
    Are they suposed to "provide historic statements" going back to when the account was opened? Under the act if they dont suplly all is it unenforceable?

As I now need to check over xmas any advise from others would be helpful.
    I have Dyslexia which is a learning difficulty that primarily affects the skills involved in accurate and fluent word reading and spelling so some post may not make sense.
  • stu12345_2
    stu12345_2 Posts: 797
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 23 December 2023 at 1:29AM
    Section 77 Duty to give information to debtor under fixed-sum credit agreement.
    "(1)The creditor under a regulated agreement for fixed-sum credit, within the prescribed period after receiving a request in writing to that effect from the debtor and payment of a fee of [£1], shall give the debtor a copy of the executed agreement (if any) and of any other document referred to in it, together with a statement signed by or on behalf of the creditor showing, according to the information to which it is practicable for him to refer"

"(4)If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1)—

(a)he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement"

Section 77, sub section (1) states as above and includes this sentence -

"together with a statement signed by or on behalf of the creditor"

The penalty for non compliance with subsection (1) is laid out in subsection (4) above.

So I would take that to mean without a statement, they have not complied with subsection (1) which means subsection (4) will still apply.

a reply I got from an ambassador on my post about link financial being in the wrong for only sending me a cca and not a cca and statement and so they  defaulted on my request as part of section 77 , my right to get a copy of my CCA and statement of my account.

link have been informed of their error and have up to this point in time said they will try to provide a statement, until that is made so, they are getting no payments and they acknowledge my rights.

where as PRA admit they can only provide the CCA and have thus placed my debt as unenforceable until if and when they ever provide a  statement.
    pay your debt at your rate.not what the creditor demands.cos they have no power.they aren't the police.
  • Thankyou so much for all your helpful replies. My account wasn’t opened until 2012 with Barclaycard. It defaulted Oct 2023. Haven’t heard anything from PRA yet but I’m sure I will do…
  • stu12345_2
    stu12345_2 Posts: 797
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 23 December 2023 at 9:13AM
    mines was sold within weeks of defaulting to PRA, sadly I then gave them £thousands back via a DMP via stepchange before I wrote CCA and statement request letters in October. and also started my own self managed dmp and left stepchange

it was only then I found out that they couldn't produce any statements despite providing a CCA. and wrote my debt is unenforceable because of this

even if they do find statements at some point in the future, they have frozen my account and are not expecting any money until they do find it, hopefully they never find it and in the meantime it gives me more time to boost my emergency fund, as I'm making no payments to PRA

my wife is in the same predicament, but she has not had any proof of anything from PRA about her 12 yr old Barclaycard account, and that was 2 months ago 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback