Rising damp?

Hello all, 

We've recently bought our first home and facing quite a few challenges. I'm hoping that somebody can offer some advice in regards to this wet patch that's coming through the wall.

We originally thought this was a leak from the central heating as there's a bathroom radiator directly behind the spot and the boiler pressure was dropping. Had a plumber out and he took up the floor, had a look around and said that it was bone dry, so unlikely to be from pipes as there's not anymore above.

So now we're thinking it's possibly coming in from outside, although this is kind of an odd position for the damp to come through. Here's of a pic of outside.

The conservatory and roof join is directly (about a metre) below the damp spot. Could this be the culprit? The flashing on the extension looks like it could be letting water through and maybe at the end of the guttering.

Many thanks

Comments

• stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 3,822
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Have you got cavity or solid walls?
  • stuart45 said:
    Have you got cavity or solid walls?
    I believe they are cavity walls
  • stuart45
    stuart45 Posts: 3,822
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It could be coming from that part of the roof. Sometimes moisture can run down the inside of the cavity, run more to the centre of the cavity from the snots and bounce off the ties to the inner skin.
  • Hi . That flashing looks basic and flimsy and in my view water could easily find a way through. Is that a gutter I can see there ? 
  • stuart45 said:
    It could be coming from that part of the roof. Sometimes moisture can run down the inside of the cavity, run more to the centre of the cavity from the snots and bounce off the ties to the inner skin.
    Thanks, will get the roof checked out
  • Hi . That flashing looks basic and flimsy and in my view water could easily find a way through. Is that a gutter I can see there ? 
    Yeah, that's a gutter between the bottom of the extension and conservatory roof. It looks completely clogged and I wouldn't be surprised if moisture is entering through the end of the gutter attached to the house. 
  • Rising damp doesn’t really exist. It’s a nonsense excuse for damp contractors to sell injected damp proofing. It looks like the flashing isn’t right. I suspect that is the first place to start. Also don’t trust anyone who tries to test for damp with a little two pronged meter. They are charlatans. Those meters are not designed for measuring damp in walls. I hope you get it sorted. There are some helpful and very knowledgeable people on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/1023449561785486/?mibextid=c7yyfP They can be a little forthright but they are helpful. They will appreciate photos. The don’t normally deal with cavity walls but they will help with damp and they know loads. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback