RSJ installation: 4.5m for £4k

Options
We're in the middle of a single storey extension build, it was found that the walls didn't line up as expected (!) and we needed an RSJ. Calculations have been done by a structural engineer, to be paid separately from the RSJ costs. We have been told it will cost £4k inc VAT for the 4.5m RSJ and fitting (the wall removal etc was covered under our initial contract). We were expecting more like £2.5k from friends' experiences / online quotes (the upper end as we live near London and all building work seems more expensive). Is the £4k realistic or is it a premium as we are mid build and therefore more likely to pay over the odds?

Comments

• zipdip
    zipdip Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well I take it the quote for the RSJ is from the builder you are using for the extension,I think £4k is way too much,my suggestion as you have the calculations for the RSJ is to contact a structual steel place near you easily found online and tell them what the calculations are or go there with them,I guess it is two steel RSJ's drilled so that spacers and bolts can join the two and ask for a price delivered to your home,armed with that have a word with the builders,two men with lifts can easily do the installation in a day includeong getting building control to inspect their work
  • zipdip
    zipdip Posts: 13 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That RSJ will I think cost less than £1 grand delivered even given London rates charging £1 grand to fit is excessive but like all these things your builders on site and you will have to have a frank talk about the situation.as a last thing when that RSJ is fitted it will need plaster board around it,make certain they use the pink plaster board it is fire resistant
  • Coco543
    Options
    zipdip said:
    That RSJ will I think cost less than £1 grand delivered even given London rates charging £1 grand to fit is excessive but like all these things your builders on site and you will have to have a frank talk about the situation.as a last thing when that RSJ is fitted it will need plaster board around it,make certain they use the pink plaster board it is fire resistant

Thanks for the response. We're resigned to paying a little over the odds, just because we need to get it done or hold up the whole project. I was just surprised that the number seemed so high. Your advice is appreciated.
  • HHarry
    HHarry Posts: 883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had a 5m and 7.5m supplied and installed for £2.3k a month or so ago.  That is deepest darkest Wales, so no London tax, but equally not a lot of choice of supplier so prices aren’t always a huge amount cheaper.
  • mexican_dave
    mexican_dave Posts: 274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Don't be too hard on builders, remember they have to prop-up the rest of the structure while they install the lintel, and that's what the trade call "risk". The risk of it going wrong and having to explain to their insurers and then put it right and pay the higher premium next year. Risk has a cost, so if you don't want your roof in the garden then I would pay it too! Incidentally I seem to remember the RSJ will need 2 layers of 12.5mm plasterboard fire protection, but please try not to teach your builders how to do their job, ask any questions diplomatically.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback