Smart meter installation issue

Options
I just had edf round who failed to install a smart electricity meter, the guy said he "couldn't find the power" and left. Can anyone tell me what he meant by that? Sounded ridiculous to me, its perfectly obvious where the power cables to and from the meter are, my flat has power to all sockets and lights, it has left me confused. 

Comments

• JSHarris
    JSHarris Posts: 374 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 20 December 2023 at 2:27PM
    Options
    nobakup said:
    I just had edf round who failed to install a smart electricity meter, the guy said he "couldn't find the power" and left. Can anyone tell me what he meant by that? Sounded ridiculous to me, its perfectly obvious where the power cables to and from the meter are, my flat has power to all sockets and lights, it has left me confused. 

Is your meter in a services room within the building, along with all the other meters for the other flats?
    This is a very common arrangement, particularly in larger blocks, where the DNO only run supplies into the one service room (often down in a basement if there is one, or the centre of the building). If so, then it's possible that he couldn't identify which supply cable and meter was yours.  Not an uncommon issue, especially with older buildings where the wiring has been changed about a bit over the years.
    Any chance of a photo of your existing meter and incoming cable and fuse (please black out any personally identifying information)?  I should be able to make a good guess as to why the chap has said that he can't find the power from that.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    That's a new one on me!
    If he'd said "couldn't find the signal", it would've made more sense.
    Might he have said tower, not power, meaning the mobile phone tower?
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • nobakup
    Options
    JSHarris said:
    nobakup said:

Is your meter in a services room within the building, along with all the other meters for the other flats?
    This is a very common arrangement, particularly in larger blocks, where the DNO only run supplies into the one service room (often down in a basement if there is one, or the centre of the building). If so, then it's possible that he couldn't identify which supply cable and meter was yours.  Not an uncommon issue, especially with older buildings where the wiring has been changed about a bit over the years.
    Any chance of a photo of your existing meter and incoming cable and fuse (please black out any personally identifying information)?  I should be able to make a good guess as to why the chap has said that he can't find the power from that.

My meter is in my flat, see photo below

QrizB said:
    That's a new one on me!
    If he'd said "couldn't find the signal", it would've made more sense.
    Might he have said tower, not power, meaning the mobile phone tower?
    That's quite possible, I have excellent coverage on my mobile, but perhaps they're on a different network

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Ah, your photo raises another possibility.
    In order to fit a meter, the installer has to isolate the power to the current meter. Usually that's done by removing the main incoming DNO fuse. But I can't see a DNO fuse anywhere in that photo.
    Perhaps that's the power that he couldn't find?

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • nobakup
    Options
    Ah OK, if that is the case do you know if its fixable or will I have to make do without a smart meter
  • JSHarris
    JSHarris Posts: 374 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 20 December 2023 at 3:08PM
    Options
    Looks like it, @QrizB and that raises another issue as the incoming tails to that meter are way too small and ancient.  The meter's been replaced at some time, and someone has upgraded the PE conductors (they are no older than about 20 or so years) and the tails out to the CU.  I'm guessing that this is a looped incomer, fused somewhere else, perhaps the adjacent flat, so to isolate the power the main fuse needs to be located.  I strongly suspect that the tails coming in need replacing as well given their age.
  • Sailbad
    Sailbad Posts: 65 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is that cover beneath the meter removable?
    If you follow the leftmost wire from the meter it will lead to the main fuse. This is what the meter man needs access to.

• Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Exactly this, the installer should have contacted the supplier who would then arrange any required work with the DNO. This is what happened when a smart meter installer came to replace my old mechanical meter only to find there were no neutral Henley blocks in place. They contacted the DNO who then came out to the work free of charge and a new smart meter appointment was subsequently scheduled.
  • nobakup
    Options
    @JSHarris

There's nothing under the cover, the cables disappear into plywood, behind the meter is my bathroom and kitchen, my next door neighbour is on one side about 5 or 6 meters away, also flats above and below. 

Not sure what u mean by dno, do u mean the landlord will have to get involved? I'm in a block of council flats

Thanks alot for your response, appreciate it
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure