Fixed Energy Tariff

Options
Octopus Energy, the electric company I am currently with are offering fixed tariffs for 12 months. 

They have offered me the following: 

'Daily standing charge 52.31p /day
Unit rate 27.11p /kWh
Early exit fee
(For changing tariff or supplier) 
£75'

Is this deal worth it, or would it be better to stay on the variable tariff? I am worried that I could end up paying a lot more if prices drop. 

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,908 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Nobody on here has a crystal ball. Do whatever you are comfortable with.
  • JSHarris
    Options
    As above, I think it's impossible to try and guess what prices may do after about the middle of next year.  At the moment there are some predictions that prices will fall in April 2024, but that depends on lots of factors.  If the situation in the Red Sea turns more serious, for example, we could have a re-run of the impact that Russia's attack on Ukraine had a year or so ago. 
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Is this deal worth it, or would it be better to stay on the variable tariff? I am worried that I could end up paying a lot more if prices drop.
    Fixed tariffs usually cost more than variable ones. They offer certainty, not savings.
    What worries you most, not paying less if dates fall or paying more if they rise?
    If you are worried about not saving money on a fix if prices drop, stay on the SVT but be prepared to pay more if the SVT rises.
    If you are worried that the SVT might rise and be unaffordable, take the fix

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,110 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 20 December 2023 at 10:38AM
    Options
    https://www.fuseenergy.com/  £50+ below cap for electricity with no exit fees including cheaper standing charge - rates frozen until 31 March.2024

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6473886/e-on-nexts-pledge-tariff-costs-50-less-than-the-energy-price-cap-should-you-switch#latest  £25 below cap for single fuel based on typical average use, easy to find Eon Next £50 credit refer a friend link online, exit fees do not apply for change of tariff.
  • BlueonBlue
    Options
    My edf electric standing charge is 38.52 now and going up to 38.50 pence per day on 1st jan on the std  variable .
    So if the figures are correct I would switch out .
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,110 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 20 December 2023 at 11:07AM
    Options
    My edf electric standing charge is 38.52 now and going up to 38.50 pence per day on 1st jan on the std  variable .
    So if the figures are correct I would switch out .

• JSHarris
    Options
    Just followed that link and got a quote from Fuse Energy.  A bit over 215% more than I'm currently paying for electricity on a SVR from EDF . . .
  • Drew1980
    Options
    Not sure sorry, but was thinking of going with them as all renewable energy sources I believe
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,938 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My edf electric standing charge is 38.52 now and going up to 38.50 pence per day on 1st jan on the std variable.

Going down, by a whopping 7p per year.  Spend it wisely !
  • Staffordian11
    Options
    I'm with Octopus and decided to take a similar one year fixed.  As others have said, or implied, its a gamble.

For me, it's about 3% cheaper than the Jan 24 capped rate and this is my heaviest use period. If the capped rate does go down from April then that's fine, my usage is far less, so if I'm paying more at that time I should still be up overall on the deal.

And if I'm not, I've bought a year's certainty.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback