Warning!!! Re: Screwfix Free Stanley Toolkit offer (Scam email)

Options
forgotmyname
forgotmyname Posts: 32,555 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 27 December 2023 at 12:55PM in Praise, vent & warnings
I received an email with the heading showing Screwfix Free Stanley tookit, being curious because I have received
free items from Screwfix if I have not used them for a while in the past.

I went through a mini (very basic) survey and then it says £2 postage applies.  I wonder how many people read
the smallprint at the bottom of that page.   Your subscribing to a club where €47.50 will be taken every 2 weeks...

No idea what that payment gets you but it said to cancel click BUY NOW.     Who clicks BUY NOW to cancel something?

Naughty or what???  

Anyone else seen it or looked into it further?  I was on my phone and did not have time to look into
the details properly to see whether it really was Screwfix or whether they were just using their name?

Stay safe and check all those offers because it may come back and bite you.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

Comments

• forgotmyname
    Options
    Just checked properly on a PC and the email came from trimural.com,  links in the email are extendlauren.net so it's just generic fake spam.

Probably a coincidence that its my diy.com email address.

Checking my spam emails and blocked emails it seems like the scammers are working overtime.  Seems I have ordered 20 ipads across all my
    different email accounts and allbeing delivered to some address in Wales.  All I need to do is click the fake paypal link to stop them being delivered.

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,873 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have received that email many many times and it is an obvious scam, you don't really have to look at it very hard to spot that, but it always goes to my spam folder anyway.
    What I really want is to see the video that someone has of me but they want me to pay them for it, maybe if I don't pay one of my contacts will send me a copy when they receive it :D

• forgotmyname
    Options
    When on the PC yes it's obvious when I looked properly, but a quick scan of the email on my phone where it hides the senders
    details (really stupid idea) it arrived to the email address that I use for diy.com which is linked to Screwfix also so at first it
    appeared to be normal and didn't get auto deleted at with most spam emails.

This made it through to the PC checking stage and I was curious as to the source.  Makes me wonder where they got my details from?
    Screwfix or B&Q???   I have a lot of email addresses and only a couple of companies on each one  which is why they flew under the radar
    briefly.

Wonder what their capture rate is?  Offering a carrot on a stick with just postage to pay for a toolkit If you read the headline, how many read all of the
    page where its a subscription and not a cheap one?   I was puzzled with the click buy it now to cancel the subscription???   Will people assume
    thats an error and actually put their details in and make the purchase/subscription?

The email has even got my name that I used for that site, eg I use Pete for some and Peter for others. I used to get lots of Paypal scams with the
    name I used for Ebay not Paypal.  Obvious scams right from the start although most say customer or costumer..( insert myriad of spelling mistakes )

• crocker2
    Options
    Naughty or what???  
    Yes, very sneaky
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 January at 11:02AM
    Options
    Had the email a few times, something similar from Screwfix, moved to spam folder (never read it, subject header was enough) as treated as a scam.
  • forgotmyname
    Options
    crocker2, thats the one although I think the company name was different on mine, Portugal or something?

I forgot to take screenshots.  Looking at that again I wonder how many will see Cancel anytime By clicking "Pay Now"?

Cannot remember if the website was the same but why is your cheaper?  I want to get scammed for the lower price.  :)

• anannoyingmouse
    Options
    Looks like this one is still in circulation. It looks pretty genuine with no obvious clues such as spelling or grammar mistakes. Mine came from info@atlasobscura.com. Glad I checked before clicking anything!

• Stephen333
    Stephen333 Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've been getting these every day for the past couple of months. Tried blocking them, but they come from a different email address every time!  :(
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
     I get this daily and ones apparently from boots and B&Q 
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If people are falling for scams as blatant as this "yourReward is Wa iiiting" (that's exactly how it's worded/spelt in the heading) then maybe the Internet is not for them?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback