Bathroom Suppliers Refusing to Refund!

2»

Comments

• Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,782 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

For a change of mind return, a restocking fee can be pretty normal, especially for items where the retailer has ordered them from a supplier (rather than ones they keep in stock) and where they will have incurred costs.

The retailer's contract with the supplier has no bearing on a customers rights. If they return it in the 14 days (under CPA) then no restocking fee can legally be charged (this excludes bespoke items).
    How does that fit with this:

"You DON'T have a legal right to change your mind & return store-bought goods. Even if you've bought the wrong colour or size, stores don't legally have to refund you simply because you've changed your mind. (It's different if items are faulty.)"

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/consumer-rights-refunds-exchange/

Fair point.

However the Government says:
    You do not have to refund a customer if they...no longer want an item (for example because it’s the wrong size or colour) unless they bought it without seeing it.

https://www.gov.uk/accepting-returns-and-giving-refunds

The OP has made it very clear that they bought it without seeing it.

• Alderbank said:

For a change of mind return, a restocking fee can be pretty normal, especially for items where the retailer has ordered them from a supplier (rather than ones they keep in stock) and where they will have incurred costs.

The retailer's contract with the supplier has no bearing on a customers rights. If they return it in the 14 days (under CPA) then no restocking fee can legally be charged (this excludes bespoke items).

"You DON'T have a legal right to change your mind & return store-bought goods. Even if you've bought the wrong colour or size, stores don't legally have to refund you simply because you've changed your mind. (It's different if items are faulty.)"

Fair point.

You do not have to refund a customer if they...no longer want an item (for example because it’s the wrong size or colour) unless they bought it without seeing it.

That page has been around for years and is very poorly written for several reasons, government eh? 

Sadly OP no right to change your mind for an on premises contracts which in store would be. 

If you didn't order the cabinet they shouldn't have charged you for it, how much do you have in writing to show you didn't order it? 

Tiles is a hard one that I can't pass comment on due to the difference in colour depending on the light. 
  • Skuk
    Skuk Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Alderbank said:

Fair point.

That page has been around for years and is very poorly written for several reasons, government eh? 

Sadly OP no right to change your mind for an on premises contracts which in store would be. 

If you didn't order the cabinet they shouldn't have charged you for it, how much do you have in writing to show you didn't order it? 

Tiles is a hard one that I can't pass comment on due to the difference in colour depending on the light. 
    Thank you. 

I have a written complaint I made once everything arrived a few days ago where I detailed how they ordered without my consent or permission and highlighted that I called to change the vanity and tiles (as they told me verbally to call or message on social media to confirm) but they had already ordered. This was before I asked to refund the vanity. 

However would the gov guidance trump their own terms and conditions which allows returns within 2 weeks? 🤔
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Alderbank said:

Fair point.

It could be argued that choosing them from a brochure is "seeing" them? As stated above, the government guidance is horrendously written.
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head Posts: 7,520 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 December 2023 at 10:56AM
    Skuk said:

However would the gov guidance trump their own terms and conditions which allows returns within 2 weeks? 🤔
    No sadly not, it does not represent the legislation, which is pretty clear there's no right to cancel for in store. 

See what they say about the unit, ultimately if they won't budge you'd be best off returning with the 20% fee and then sending a letter before action for the 20%, if no joy you'd have to decide on small claims. 

I do agree their terms imply the fee only applies after 2 weeks and if you can reasonably show you didn't order it then it should be clear cut.

As I say the tiles are different matter, a photo of a tile outside in natural day light might be a fairer representation. Goods are required to match the description (as well as samples if they gave/sold you one).

Apologies if it's an obvious thing but have you checked the boxes the tiles came in to see if they've supplied the wrong colour in error. 

Is it these:

https://renocentre.co.uk/products/austral-ivory-tiles?variant=46581065711935

I know it's another 30 quid but might be worth ordering a sample of ivory to compare to your tiles, slim chance the manufacturer put grey wrong tiles in the wrong box labelled ivory. 

If you can show they are the wrong tiles then you are entitled to seek a remedy (at a very basic level, reject within 30 day, afterward replacement and if not provided again reject*), if it's a case of stating they are the right tiles but don't match the image and no agreement can be made between you and the retailer then ultimately the only opinion that would matter is that of the court which again as above is better before action and then small claims. 

*Just to add given they are already glued to the wall (I assume) you can seek a price reduction instead if a replacement isn't forthcoming, usually it's the difference between what was paid and what was supplied but I'm guessing all tiles are the same price regardless of which of the 3 colours you pick so it would be a case of seeing if the retailer will agree to something you are also happy with if you can live with the tiles as they are. 

I thought the tiles in our bathroom looked great 10 years ago, now I'm not so sure but really once it's done how much thought do you give it? A few quid back that covers some extras in the bathroom might be more pragmatic than taking them all off and starting again but of course it's a personal choice. :) 
  • swingaloo
    swingaloo Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If you did not order the vanity unit why was the box opened after delivery, could you not have refused it at that point.
  • MeteredOut
    MeteredOut Posts: 1,258 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    swingaloo said:
    If you did not order the vanity unit why was the box opened after delivery, could you not have refused it at that point.
    OP explained up-thread. They agreed to have it delivered to see whether it would be suitable. I said previously I think this makes it difficult for them.
  • Skuk
    Skuk Posts: 33 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks all. I’m still waiting to see if they’ll accept the vanity unit back with or without the 20% charge. 

Will update. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure