Insurance Cover Query

Col2018
Col2018 Posts: 8
First Anniversary
Forumite
Hi

I've got medical/health conditions but fortunate enough for them to be stable. Therefore I planned to buy a basic insurance policy when I go overseas. Would this basic cover be okay for me to use if I needed to claim for non medical/health reasons e.g , lost luggage, item damage etc., or would the insurance company not pay because they would/might say I was in breach of contract I.e., I didn't declare my health conditions? 

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,311
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 December 2023 at 8:05PM
    The most expensive risks are health related.

If you consider the comparative costs of cancellation or a hospital stay for anything that can be indirectly related to your current health conditions versus a lost suitcase, I’m struggling to see why you’d want to insure your luggage but not yourself.

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,262
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 December 2023 at 10:54PM
    Not declaring medical conditions would likely compromise medical treatment cover required for an accident the cause of which was not related to health issues - for example a slip or fall.
    I'm not 100% sure on such a scenario - but it does sound like the standard "get out" for a travel insurer.
    I'm sure others can confirm/refute ?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure