How Soon Can I Move Supplier ?

Moving into a new property that is currently supplied with gas & electric via smart meters & Eon Next.
I know I will have to take both supplies initially with Eon Next.
How soon can I move suppliers after Completion ?
TIA

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,273
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    As soon as you have your initial readings you can request a move.  Might take a month or two.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Netexporter
    Netexporter Posts: 1,034
    First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    My house was with (any old) Eon, when I took possession. It was automatically changed to Eon Next when I submitted the opening readings and was transferred to Octopus in a few days when I requested. You can change supplier as soon as you're registered with the deemed supplier.
  • Thanks for the information.
    I will be moving the supply to Octopus ASAP after I get the keys to the property.

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 20,836
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 18 December 2023 at 9:41PM
    Thanks for the information.
    I will be moving the supply to Octopus ASAP after I get the keys to the property.

If you are with Octopus currently, then their “move home with us” service works brilliantly. By coincidence our predecessors in our house were also with Eon - so I can vouch for it working a treat with that exact scenario. You may also have more notice of a move date than we had too as we only exchanged contracts a handful of days ahead - in spite of that, it was all seamless - and we walked into our new home on moving day to see a “welcome to Octopus” message on the IHD! 

Edit to add - it should be said that it would be sensible to still do the usual meter readings. You will obviously need to take your outgoing one from your old home anyway. I would also personally take photos of the meters in your new place as soon as you get in too - if you have no need of them, not a problem, but it’s as well to have them just in case.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills