'Car Cane' aid for elderly getting in and out of cars. Recomendations

Options
My mum is really struggling to get in and out of our new car. I'm looking at 'car canes' handles that you hook in to the car door latch.

There are lots of different ones available but its difficult to know which is the best design in terms of both sturdiness and the risk of damaging the car.

Also are there any other aids that may help or should be avoided? 

Thanks 

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,048 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    MiL had trouble getting up into my OH's Volvo SUV.  Frankly I'm 30 years younger than she was and I have trouble as it's a very high car.  What helped for her was a small step so that she could be about 6 inches higher and so be able to get in more easily.

Didn't know about the car canes but that would have been helpful as well.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    A swivel seat could also help.

Usually aids made by reputable mobility companies are more likely to be sturdy and safe than random Chinese or unbranded ones dropshipped via eBay or Amazon (especially Amazon). 

[Reputable mobility companies do sometimes sell on those marketplaces as well though, so it can be okay, it's just a case of being savvy about what you're buying.]

I would say we've not found Coopers to be very reliable in terms of quality or value.  Some stuff is great and some is really not.
  • OutdoorQueen
    Options
    Halfords do a swivel seat and a handle for the door catch:
    https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-accessories/car-seat-covers-cushions/halfords-car-seat-swivel-cushion-585320.html

Unfortunatly my seats (Ford Kuga) have edges to them so the seat didn’t turn very well and didn’t help Dad at all.  

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/car-accessories/interior-car-accessories/simply-car-handle-aid-585205.html

Not the cheapest but easy to take back if it doesn’t solve the problem.  
  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 645 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was told to try a plastic bag.. put it on seat to help slide swivel in.. but then rock to take it out as safety with wearing one when car moving.

I have a car handle that goes on a loop when the door is open but as its not my car i go out in havent tried it. 

Other times ive had physio OT suggest putting window down to allow another balance point.. but i'm a chunky lady and worry about breaking cars that arent mine. 
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,322 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I did not find mine helpful.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • EnPointe
    Options
    Cyclamen said:
    I was told to try a plastic bag.. put it on seat to help slide swivel in.. but then rock to take it out as safety with wearing one when car moving.

I have a car handle that goes on a loop when the door is open but as its not my car i go out in havent tried it. 

Other times ive had physio OT suggest putting window down to allow another balance point.. but i'm a chunky lady and worry about breaking cars that arent mine. 
    the plastic bag  suggestion is valid  as it;s the same  mechanism asa  slide sheet  - and slide sheets are  used widely across health and social care to  moving and handling tasks  with  patients / service users/ residents 

you are not  going to break a car   by  leaning on the  window sill  with the window down 
  • Cyclamen
    Options
    Thanks Enpointe. 
    I have huge anxiety about my body size and breaking things, or being too big for my PAs to help etc.. they all reassure me its fine.. but it makes me nervous.  Just how my restricted mobility body can feel ..  and i am working on the emotional side of accepting it... 

i have used the plastic bag a couple of times but struggled to get the hang of it.. mostly someone grabs my trouser legs  and shoves or drags.. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback