Is a charge back the only option with this?

I bought two canvas prints from a company called Canvas Castle. They arrived but I don't like how they have turned out and want to return; however they are being difficult. Firstly they said they have some "all sales are final" line on their site (they do have this line but it does not actually detail what this means or entails) but I replied saying their site also says "30 day money back guarantee"; to which they say that only replies to defective items, but again, this is not detailed on their site. 

I don't think I am going to get anywhere with them at all, so I presuming I should try and get a chargeback via my bank on the transaction. What justification would I need to give for the bank to proceed with this?

Thanks

Comments

  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,582
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 17 December 2023 at 6:59PM
    Are these generic prints or ones that have been custom made for you (e.g. using photos you have provided ?)

    Edit - just found what I assume is the site and see it is based in Miami, Florida, so UK consumer law won't apply. 
    About Us | Canvas Castle (canvas-castle.com)

  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,698
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 17 December 2023 at 7:17PM
    Is this the Canvas Castle of 13850 SW 143rd Ct Miami in Florida, USA?

    Chargeback is not a statutory right. I don't think it covers change of mind.
    From the bank's point of view, you have ordered and paid for a product, received it and remain in possession of it.
    The relevant question for chargeback is, is Canvas Castle in breach of any of the laws of the State of Florida?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,924
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    portoman said:
    I bought two canvas prints from a company called Canvas Castle. They arrived but I don't like how they have turned out and want to return; however they are being difficult. Firstly they said they have some "all sales are final" line on their site (they do have this line but it does not actually detail what this means or entails) but I replied saying their site also says "30 day money back guarantee"; to which they say that only replies to defective items, but again, this is not detailed on their site. 

    I don't think I am going to get anywhere with them at all, so I presuming I should try and get a chargeback via my bank on the transaction. What justification would I need to give for the bank to proceed with this?
    You'd need to provide the bank with objective evidence that the goods aren't as described.
  • Alderbank said:
    Is this the Canvas Castle of 13850 SW 143rd Ct Miami in Florida, USA?

    Chargeback is not a statutory right. I don't think it covers change of mind.
    From the bank's point of view, you have ordered and paid for a product, received it and remain in possession of it.
    The relevant question for chargeback is, is Canvas Castle in breach of any of the laws of the State of Florida?
    But surely if I'm not satisfied with a product I have bought I have the right to return it 
    I want to return something bought online - Which? 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,924
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    portoman said:
    Alderbank said:
    Is this the Canvas Castle of 13850 SW 143rd Ct Miami in Florida, USA?

    Chargeback is not a statutory right. I don't think it covers change of mind.
    From the bank's point of view, you have ordered and paid for a product, received it and remain in possession of it.
    The relevant question for chargeback is, is Canvas Castle in breach of any of the laws of the State of Florida?
    But surely if I'm not satisfied with a product I have bought I have the right to return it 
    I want to return something bought online - Which? 
    Yes, you have such rights when buying from UK companies....
  • Alderbank
    Alderbank Posts: 2,698
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I have sympathy with the OP. 

    The Which? article linked to makes absolutely no reference to the laws of the country in which the contract of sale was made. It reads as though UK law applies to any online purchase regardless of where it was made. Even in 'exceptions' it doesn't say that UK law only applies to contracts made in UK, even though purchases nowadays are commonly made from USA, China and south-east Asia.

    Disappointing.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 29,924
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Alderbank said:
    I have sympathy with the OP. 

    The Which? article linked to makes absolutely no reference to the laws of the country in which the contract of sale was made. It reads as though UK law applies to any online purchase regardless of where it was made. Even in 'exceptions' it doesn't say that UK law only applies to contracts made in UK, even though purchases nowadays are commonly made from USA, China and south-east Asia.

    Disappointing.
    Agreed, but, like with this site, they're no more than journalists who are regarded as being rather more authoritative than the quality of their output warrants....
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,297
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 17 December 2023 at 10:37PM
    Not the most comprehensive of returns policies.
     “All sales are final and if for any reason you are unsatisfied with your product simply contact our team for an easy solution. “
    No mention of what that easy solution might be.

    They are clearer on if the canvases defective, but you’re not saying it’s defective are you, you’re just saying that you don’t like it or it’s not the quality expected?

    If your canvas has been damaged during shipping or is defective simply let us know, send back photographic proof, and we will provide a  replacement immediately. We must be notified of this within 30 days of you receiving your canvas.”
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

    Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • portoman said:
    Alderbank said:
    Is this the Canvas Castle of 13850 SW 143rd Ct Miami in Florida, USA?

    Chargeback is not a statutory right. I don't think it covers change of mind.
    From the bank's point of view, you have ordered and paid for a product, received it and remain in possession of it.
    The relevant question for chargeback is, is Canvas Castle in breach of any of the laws of the State of Florida?
    But surely if I'm not satisfied with a product I have bought I have the right to return it 
    I want to return something bought online - Which? 
    How would you return it?
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 13,665
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    portoman said:
    I bought two canvas prints from a company called Canvas Castle. They arrived but I don't like how they have turned out and want to return; however they are being difficult. Firstly they said they have some "all sales are final" line on their site (they do have this line but it does not actually detail what this means or entails) but I replied saying their site also says "30 day money back guarantee"; to which they say that only replies to defective items, but again, this is not detailed on their site. 

    I don't think I am going to get anywhere with them at all, so I presuming I should try and get a chargeback via my bank on the transaction. What justification would I need to give for the bank to proceed with this?

    Thanks
    There is no chargeback right for change of mind.

    You would also need to return the items to them, or have something saying they will not take them back. But even then they could still ask for them back.

    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards