No toilets seat lid in accessible wetroom

MouldyOldDough
MouldyOldDough Posts: 1,647
First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
Forumite
We are currently having an accessible toilet/wetroom constructed and have just had the toilet pan fitted - however, the toilet has no seat lid fitted
I am trying to figure out why ?
Most accessible bathrooms/ toilets in the REAL world are the same - ie) No seat lid
Why would this be ?
Surely - in a private home, it is necessary for hygeine reasons - and to stop things from dropping in to the pan ?

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,251
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I would have thought it was much easier for some less able individuals to use a toilet if they didn't have to faff about with lifting a lid.  Frankly I think toilets are much better off without myself.  
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,301
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    Slippery when wet?

As in its wet so could slip out of hands, you could slip off it if you tried to sit on it, you couldn't get the lid up quickly enough if you needed to go urgently?  :D
    Alternative seating for showering?

Indian trains have this set up and we would joke you could shower at the same time as - ahem!

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,251
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    twopenny said:
    Slippery when wet?

As in its wet so could slip out of hands, you could slip off it if you tried to sit on it, you couldn't get the lid up quickly enough if you needed to go urgently?  :D
    Alternative seating for showering?

Indian trains have this set up and we would joke you could shower at the same time as - ahem!
    We came across something similar in a hotel in London.  The ensuite was so tiddly that your feet were actually in the shower when you were seated.  Think it had been meant for a motor home or boat.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Jonboy_1984
    Jonboy_1984 Posts: 1,191
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Standard specifications allow for situations such as wheelchair users and people with crutches looped on their arms not having to reach over the relatively long distances. 

• Standard specifications allow for situations such as wheelchair users and people with crutches looped on their arms not having to reach over the relatively long distances. 

Surely it is up to myself as I am paying for it in my own home 
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,738
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Standard specifications allow for situations such as wheelchair users and people with crutches looped on their arms not having to reach over the relatively long distances. 

It is. Did you tell the installer/designer that you wanted one or did you just ask for an accessible toilet & they just chose the default "no-lid" option
  • Andy_L said:

It is. Did you tell the installer/designer that you wanted one or did you just ask for an accessible toilet & they just chose the default "no-lid" option
    They chose the option 
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,090
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Toilet seat with lid £12 from Screwfix.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.4K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback