PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Giving Feedback to Estate Agents - Do or Don't do?

2»

Comments

  • Nardge
    Nardge Posts: 246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 December 2023 at 2:56PM
    Hoenir said:
    How did you communicate your offer to the estate agent?  
    I wrote:

    "Dear ... ...,

    I would like to confirm my wish to place an offer of £...,000 on the property at ..... ..... .
    This is with the agreement that it is taken off the market, and pending a satisfactory survey. 
    Positives are that I'm paying entirely in cash, can pay whenever required, and am not part of a vendor chain.
    Kindly confirm receipt of this e-mail.
    I look forward to hearing from you,
    With Kind Regards."

    It was subsequent to this that the Estate Agent started requesting feedback etc (by email): 

    "Thank you for your email detailing your offer this will be put forward to our vendor. I know you find the property very suitable and in a very nice area, is there anything more you wish to say about what has made you make an offer on the property so we can let the vendor know your thorough feedback."

    The following day my Estate Agent was out (i.e. not available by telephone), her colleague was in. I clarified with her colleague that the request for feedback wasn't obligatory. She did seem overly keen for it to happen though.

    Though I see both perspectives on the matter, it continues to feel a little over-the-top, unnecessary, and it could easily increase costs. 

    I'm keen to know how prevalent requests for feedback for vendors prior to submission of offers is across estate agents? It was certainly unexpected. It is arguably more logical from a buyer's point of view to provide feedback only once the deal is assured (exchange of contracts)...

    With Kind Regards.

          

  • TheJP
    TheJP Posts: 1,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Really! They have said your offer has been put forward to the vendor and are asking for your feedback on the property. Pretty standard stuff. The EA may want to know if how they presented the property was what attracted you, the price, location etc etc. This is no different to buying anything really.
  • Nardge
    Nardge Posts: 246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    TheJP said:
    Really! They have said your offer has been put forward to the vendor and are asking for your feedback on the property. Pretty standard stuff. The EA may want to know if how they presented the property was what attracted you, the price, location etc etc. This is no different to buying anything really.
    I confirmed with the EA's colleague that they'd not put the offer through yet pending my feedback.
    She confirmed it wasn't obligatory, to which I replied I'd reflect on the matter over the weekend.

    I chose the property myself as a result of my own personal considerations and research.
    I subsequently contacted whichever EA happened to be responsible for marketing it.
    The EA therefore had no role to play in my choice.

     
     
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,390 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Nardge said:

    I confirmed with the EA's colleague that they'd not put the offer through yet pending my feedback.
    She confirmed it wasn't obligatory, to which I replied I'd reflect on the matter over the weekend.

    I chose the property myself as a result of my own personal considerations and research.
    I subsequently contacted whichever EA happened to be responsible for marketing it.
    The EA therefore had no role to play in my choice.



    It sounds like you're regarding the EA as "the enemy".

    In this case, they're not - they're on the same side as you.
    • The EA wants the seller to accept your offer (so that the EA gets their commission)
    • You want the seller to accept your offer

    So you should try to work with the EA, rather than fight against them.




    (And I'm not sure that I understand your suggestion that, if you say what you like about the house, the seller will refuse your offer - and expect you to pay more.

    Do you think they would they accept a lower offer if you listed lots of things you didn't like about the house?) 


  • Nardge
    Nardge Posts: 246 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 December 2023 at 6:10PM
    eddddy said:
    Nardge said:

    I confirmed with the EA's colleague that they'd not put the offer through yet pending my feedback.
    She confirmed it wasn't obligatory, to which I replied I'd reflect on the matter over the weekend.

    I chose the property myself as a result of my own personal considerations and research.
    I subsequently contacted whichever EA happened to be responsible for marketing it.
    The EA therefore had no role to play in my choice.



    It sounds like you're regarding the EA as "the enemy".

    In this case, they're not - they're on the same side as you.
    • The EA wants the seller to accept your offer (so that the EA gets their commission)
    • You want the seller to accept your offer

    So you should try to work with the EA, rather than fight against them.




    (And I'm not sure that I understand your suggestion that, if you say what you like about the house, the seller will refuse your offer - and expect you to pay more.

    Do you think they would they accept a lower offer if you listed lots of things you didn't like about the house?) 


    I do not regard them as the enemy nor am I fighting against them. :)

    The above comment was intended as a clarification to the preceding comment, nothing more.

    As stated at the start of the thread, I simply found the request for feedback prior to submission of an offer odd. My reasons for this have been stated previously. These included that if I gave a list of all that I liked, the Vendor might seek to push the offer submitted upwards. I did not suggest they'd reject it outright. 

    Some appear to have understood my point, others have kindly elucidated positives for Estate Agents and Vendors.

    I'm keen to know if requesting feedback prior to forwarding offers to Vendors is common process with Estate Agents. 

    Thank you and everyone preceding for taking the time to reply. :) 
    .










  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Another EA going beyond the realms of reasonableness. 

    I don't much like EAs so I would be putting a note through the door of the house:

    Hello it's me, Nardge, who came to see your house on xx/12/23. Just to let you know I put an offer to your EA Brian Cell at Green Breezeblocks on 15/12/23, and look forward to hearing your response very soon.

    I'd probably put my phone number on there too.
  • TheJP
    TheJP Posts: 1,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    robatwork said:
    Another EA going beyond the realms of reasonableness. 

    I don't much like EAs so I would be putting a note through the door of the house:

    Hello it's me, Nardge, who came to see your house on xx/12/23. Just to let you know I put an offer to your EA Brian Cell at Green Breezeblocks on 15/12/23, and look forward to hearing your response very soon.

    I'd probably put my phone number on there too.
    I don't think asking for feedback is unreasonable, pretty much all businesses do this. 
  • TheJP
    TheJP Posts: 1,665 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Nardge said:
    eddddy said:
    Nardge said:

    I confirmed with the EA's colleague that they'd not put the offer through yet pending my feedback.
    She confirmed it wasn't obligatory, to which I replied I'd reflect on the matter over the weekend.

    I chose the property myself as a result of my own personal considerations and research.
    I subsequently contacted whichever EA happened to be responsible for marketing it.
    The EA therefore had no role to play in my choice.



    It sounds like you're regarding the EA as "the enemy".

    In this case, they're not - they're on the same side as you.
    • The EA wants the seller to accept your offer (so that the EA gets their commission)
    • You want the seller to accept your offer

    So you should try to work with the EA, rather than fight against them.




    (And I'm not sure that I understand your suggestion that, if you say what you like about the house, the seller will refuse your offer - and expect you to pay more.

    Do you think they would they accept a lower offer if you listed lots of things you didn't like about the house?) 


    I do not regard them as the enemy nor am I fighting against them. :)

    The above comment was intended as a clarification to the preceding comment, nothing more.

    As stated at the start of the thread, I simply found the request for feedback prior to submission of an offer odd. My reasons for this have been stated previously. These included that if I gave a list of all that I liked, the Vendor might seek to push the offer submitted upwards. I did not suggest they'd reject it outright. 

    Some appear to have understood my point, others have kindly elucidated positives for Estate Agents and Vendors.

    I'm keen to know if requesting feedback prior to forwarding offers to Vendors is common process with Estate Agents. 

    Thank you and everyone preceding for taking the time to reply. :) 
    .










    Is this your first time buying a property?

    I honestly think you are reading into this a bit too much and its distorting your judgement. The EA works for the seller and as stated they want to sell the house ASAP. 

    I very much doubt an EA would not forward an offer until they got feedback unless this was a stipulate of the seller, its counter intuitive. 

  • Was the offer below/much below asking price? My guess is that they want some idea of what's formed your opinion of the price you've offered to help justify it to the vendor
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    TheJP said:
    robatwork said:
    Another EA going beyond the realms of reasonableness. 

    I don't much like EAs so I would be putting a note through the door of the house:

    Hello it's me, Nardge, who came to see your house on xx/12/23. Just to let you know I put an offer to your EA Brian Cell at Green Breezeblocks on 15/12/23, and look forward to hearing your response very soon.

    I'd probably put my phone number on there too.
    I don't think asking for feedback is unreasonable, pretty much all businesses do this. 
    The feedback an EA would get will be made up nonsense 99% of the time. Especially from a serious buyer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards