First time buyer, no previous energy usage. Where can I get comparisons without previous usage info?

jammy-jan
jammy-jan Posts: 10
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 15 December 2023 at 10:22AM in Energy
Hi, my daughter has just bought her first flat. It has storage heaters and the previous owner was on the Simpler economy 7 tariff with Ovo Energy. She has no previous energy usage to input and I’m finding it difficult to find a way of comparing tariffs without it. It’s a 1 bed flat, she’ll be out most of each day. Is there anywhere I can get a list of present Economy 7 charges? Thanks.

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,765
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Make sure she knows how to use them effectively.
    Are they old style Box of Bricks ones with two knobs or modern High Heat Retention ones with a display screen and a fan?  If the latter, do they each have one supply outlet or two?
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,010
    Forumite
    You can get the unit price and standing charges for variable and fixed tariffs by requesting a quote from a few of the main suppliers. The only way to get a true idea of the cost is to monitor the usage over a winter month.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 11,970
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    As a first move she must contact OVO and take out an account in her name. OVO will want meter readings. Take readings daily for a while to get an indication of her consumption.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,658
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Sadly, comparison sites are a bit patchy these days. On the plus side there are far fewer suppliers to compare.
    This recent thread might help:
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,573
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 15 December 2023 at 10:54AM
    Hopefully she read the meters(s) on the day she took possession and set up her own account with the energy company.

To get info on e7 charges you have to make a bit of a guess or look at the tariffs from each of the suppliers. If you do use their estimates, monitor consumption to check that its substantially in line with with estimates to ensure that she's paying enough and not too much, thus avoid big debits or credits.

AS Gerry suggests the old box of bricks type tend to keep the place warm all day, even if you aren't there so it might be worth exploring changing them for more modern high heat retention types when you have more control over when heat is delivered. However, check what she's got, find out how they are controlled (handbooks etc are usually available on t'interweb or I'm sure someone on here could give some advice) 

Do teach her how to read the meters regularly (ideally weekly for a while) making sure that she's aware of which is the peak and off peak reading. Submit the readings every month or check that the readings are being recorded correctly every month if she's got smart meters. Dont accept estimated bills, get them corrected.

By regularly monitoring what she is using and ensuring that her bills are correctly using readings and checking that peak and off peak readings aren't getting transposed she can get a good idea of her consumption and adjust her usage accordingly.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Gerry1
    Forumite
    Also check the immersion heaters.  If there are two the bottom one on E7 should be left on but the upper one on a 24h circuit should be left off unless a quick daytime boost is needed at the expensive rate.
  • jammy-jan
    jammy-jan Posts: 10
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 15 December 2023 at 12:25PM
    Gerry1 said:
    Are they old style Box of Bricks ones with two knobs or modern High Heat Retention ones with a display screen and a fan?  If the latter, do they each have one supply outlet or two?
    Sorry, I should have said, there are Dimplex Quantum storage heaters in the lounge and kitchen (Y Series) plus Atlantic convector heaters in the hall and bedroom. The bathroom has a heated towel rail. There is not a water tank, there is an Ariston water heater, sorry, I don’t know the spec, fitted under the kitchen sink. We have not used storage heaters before so any tips on using them efficiently are gratefully received! Thanks.
  • Gerry1
    Forumite
    edited 15 December 2023 at 12:01PM
    Quantums are well regarded.  Just make sure they're programmed to emit heat only at times when it's needed and set to appropriate temperatures.
    One outlet or two?
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,658
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I think @EssexHebridean @RedFraggle and @GibbsRule_No3. all have Dimplex Quantums. They like them. If you read their past threads/comments you'll get some useful tips.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Scot_39
    Scot_39 Posts: 1,683
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 15 December 2023 at 1:17PM
    jammy-jan said:
    Gerry1 said:
    Sorry, I should have said, there are Dimplex Quantum storage heaters in the lounge and kitchen plus Atlantic convector heaters in the hall and bedroom. The bathroom has a heated towel rail. There is not a water tank, there is an Ariston water heater, sorry, I don’t know the spec, fitted under the kitchen sink. We have not used storage heaters before so any tips on using them efficiently are gratefully received! Thanks.
    Quantum manuals are available at Dimplex site at least for current generation - but their are generational differences.

The RF series is their main offering now - but if you search by model number - in their support section - label top rhs behind control panel it suggests  - she should find exact model numbers.

Not all suppliers e7 deals are the same - so well worth - once she has registered with Ovo as the deemed (sitting) supplier and provided her day 1 readings - looking at others later.

One person recently quoted a fairly flat split - others could be c15p off peak, c35p peak based on this quarters prices at likes of EDF, Octopus and EOn who all publish full cross regional pricing.

On basis of above - and an aggressive e7 price split - properly configured (wiring and or user settings as applicable) quauntums will use off peak and should be allowed to carry most of the heating load if possible. 

Best to avoid daytime use of panels if possible.

But depending on e7 times - it can be very important to find these out as well - they are not only regional but can be meter specific.

As can the order of peak and off peak meter rates on smart / digital meters (and assumed order by some suppliers when switching).

Beware supplier faqs on Web are often only reporting the generic standard timing - so try to check own meter. Mpan mtc codes can give a good clue if can find match on searches.
    If lucky nsh will have off peak and peak feed switches with led to say when off peak active - if have a dual wired system / split consumer unit supply system.

You can often get a cheap rate boost late evening in some regions to warm bedrooms or beds via underblanket - or late enough in morning if early riser for dressing / showering etc.

Showers and baths tend to be largish and all year round costs for heating as well.  Again if convenient / possible best done at e7 off peak rates if don't have an off peak water tank to feed them.

Note some home water heaters have a compact energy store not an old fashioned round hw tank. 

The ariston under sink unit may be instant or small tank based (one such model a 2-3kW heater for 10-15l tank).  So again look at model and look at their website and get manuals.

If tank based - 10-15l of hot water would do 2-3 basins worth - so could look to restrict heating to off peak times too if light user.

I use upto my 3 nsh to heat a 2 bed house - 2 smaller Hall nsh and 1 large old in living room nsh to heat a 2 bed house. 1 or 2 often enough on milder cold days.  I Never use the panels in bedrooms - as heat will circulate a fair bit via open doors. Some use well placed mini fans to help circulate heat faster as well if feel other indirect heated spaces struggling.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback