PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Detached or end of terrace?

124»

Comments

• robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Nice Rob thinks...just a typo, could happen to anyone
    Cynical Rob thinks...that will appear on far more searches than terraced

Either way it's North Sheen not Richmond, and 1/10 value for money
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,743 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    robatwork said:
    I find this extremely common as well. I live in a great small city which is considered a desirable place to live. There are several nearby towns which aren’t so desirable, including one whose claim to fame is a double child murder.

I often found that houses in those towns were listed as belonging to the city I live in, even though they’re not. However the price difference is 25%-30% so I could understand why a vendor would want this. It’s ridiculous though as surely no one is tricked by this.
  • robatwork said:

I remember when houses near the Wandsworth one way system were being marketed as "East Putney".  
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,086 Forumite
    robatwork said:

I remember when houses near the Wandsworth one way system were being marketed as "East Putney".  
    This is endemic in areas around Finchley/West Hampstead/Kilburn/Cricklewood. Some of these names conjure up gang warfare, others suburban idyll. Reality is most of London is becoming a craphole sadly. 
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,817 Forumite
    Calidad said:
    Hi, 

This property is advertised as detached, but would it be more accurate to describe it as end of terrace and should be priced accordingly? 

The agent is probably hoping you'll view it in the dark. From the details in the link the agent states "Prospective purchasers are advised to verify the information through inspection or other means to their satisfaction." They used to call it caveat emptor when Pontius was a pilot. At least they are revealing their integrity & attention to detail before you even pick up the phone.

I sent the link to ASA and they just replied ..

Thank you for contacting the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA).
    I understand that you considered an ad for a property on the Minors & Brady website for a property on Sandpiper Way is misleading as you understand the property is not a detached house as stated but an end of terrace house.
    We have reviewed the ad in light of your concerns and considered all the issues raised.
    On this occasion, having taken our prioritisation principles into account, we have decided to resolve your complaint through the provision of advice. Therefore, we have explained your concerns to the advertiser and provided them with guidance on how to ensure that their advertising complies with the Codes.

That'll learn 'em.
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • Gavin83
    Calidad said:
    Hi, 

This property is advertised as detached, but would it be more accurate to describe it as end of terrace and should be priced accordingly? 

The agent is probably hoping you'll view it in the dark. From the details in the link the agent states "Prospective purchasers are advised to verify the information through inspection or other means to their satisfaction." They used to call it caveat emptor when Pontius was a pilot. At least they are revealing their integrity & attention to detail before you even pick up the phone.

I understand that you considered an ad for a property on the Minors & Brady website for a property on Sandpiper Way is misleading as you understand the property is not a detached house as stated but an end of terrace house.
    We have reviewed the ad in light of your concerns and considered all the issues raised.
    On this occasion, having taken our prioritisation principles into account, we have decided to resolve your complaint through the provision of advice. Therefore, we have explained your concerns to the advertiser and provided them with guidance on how to ensure that their advertising complies with the Codes.

That'll learn 'em.
    Except, as this thread has pointed out it's partly down to opinion. I think we'd all agree it isn't a detached property but we certainly wouldn't all agree it's a end of terrace. I certainly wouldn't describe that as an end of terrace. Therefore you can't possibly please everyone and therefore there's no 'right' description.

Out of interest is 'link detached' an option on Rightmove?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Gavin83 said:
    Calidad said:
    Hi, 

That'll learn 'em.
    Except, as this thread has pointed out it's partly down to opinion. I think we'd all agree it isn't a detached property but we certainly wouldn't all agree it's a end of terrace. I certainly wouldn't describe that as an end of terrace. Therefore you can't possibly please everyone and therefore there's no 'right' description.

It is now described as link detached.
  • Gavin83
    sheramber said:
    Gavin83 said:
    Calidad said:
    Hi, 

That'll learn 'em.

It is now described as link detached.
    Ah yes so it is. They must have updated it at some point, maybe based on advice the description wasn't accurate. Problem solved then!
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Gavin83 said:
    Calidad said:
    Hi, 

That'll learn 'em.

Yes, see my post on page 1 of this thread  :/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure