WRONG DELIVERY ADDRESS FOR PARCEL

Can anyone advise if i have any options after selecting the wrong address for a delivery, which has also been delivered and accepted by the homeowner!

I registerred for a new account when placing an online order and rather than the usual method of entering your Post Code and selecting your address from the list you type your address in from scratch which i did.  What i didn't realise was that the adress that came up wasn't mine and placed the order for same address - different town!

I know it's my own stupid mistake and i'm it seems i'm reliant on them people it has been delivered to returning it but jsut wondering if i have any other options other than to lose £140 parcel due to my own stupidity

Thanks

Comments

• Is it feasible to collect the parcel from that other town OP?
  • bms66
    bms66 Posts: 13
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 14 December 2023 at 6:18PM
    Is it feasible to collect the parcel from that other town OP?

Thank you for replying,  but it's  around 2.5 hours each way so probably not feasable :-(
  • One option might be to send them a letter to explain, and give your contact details so you can arrange to pay for them to post it to you?  I'd include a printed out order confirmation as proof.  Or if they're not comfortable with that, they should return it - but of course this all depends on what kind of people they are.  Just gotta hope they're decent enough to do the right thing.
  • bms66
    bms66 Posts: 13
    Forumite
    One option might be to send them a letter to explain, and give your contact details so you can arrange to pay for them to post it to you?  I'd include a printed out order confirmation as proof.  Or if they're not comfortable with that, they should return it - but of course this all depends on what kind of people they are.  Just gotta hope they're decent enough to do the right thing.

Yeah, i will send a letter recorded delivery and appeal to them returning the item to their local store - i half guessed it would be down to them with it being too far to drive.  Fingers crossed and thank you for taking the time time to reply
  • Belenus
    Belenus Posts: 2,548
    Forumite
    How did you pay?

If by credit or debit card, then the delivery address being different from the registered card address should have been picked up by the payment system.
    A man walked into a car showroom.
    He said to the salesman, “My wife would like to talk to you about the Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    Salesman said, “We haven't got a Volkswagen Golf in the showroom window.”
    The man replied, “You have now mate".
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,889
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Belenus said:
    How did you pay?

If by credit or debit card, then the delivery address being different from the registered card address should have been picked up by the payment system.
    That doesn't seem to be the case any more, I have ordered for my sons, my sons have ordered things for me from various shops and we've never had an issue with putting in an address different to the one registered with the card..

I've even been lazy and ordered some little nonsense presents from Amazon for people I won't see before Christmas, I just buy, change the address to theirs and it's fine. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,178
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Belenus said:
    How did you pay?

You can set up payments on a web site with very strict criteria so that everything has to agree - address, name, CVV, etc. or make it less strict.  In practice most sites allow a bit of latitude otherwise sales are lost due to typos by the customer.  The extra turnover covers any risk of losses from fraudulent transactions.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback