GAP insurance claim

Hi there. I’ve recently had to make a claim on a car GAP insurance policy because the car itself was involved in a RTA, and subsequently declared a total loss by my insurer. Anyhow, the GAP insurer is asking for a vehicle order form despite me uploading the purchase invoice. I’ve checked through the policy wording and there is no mention of having to supply a vehicle order form, just a copy of the purchase invoice. Has anyone experienced similar or encountered such issues before? Any help will be greatly appreciated! 

Comments

• oscarward
    oscarward Posts: 878
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    edited 13 December 2023 at 8:07PM
    Hmmm. My wife is currently going through this after unrecovered car theft. The gap company wouldn’t accept order form only invoice. Apparently the order form includes extras which aren’t covered and may not reflect what was actually paid.  E.g. there was supaguard treatment which we paid for separately as we didn’t want to put on finance.

the insurers have paid out but gap are still prevaricating stating the claim is above their authorisation limit and they need underwriters to ok which apparently will take 10 days.
  • It's customary for gap insurers to request the sales invoice rather than the order form, as the invoice is the customer's proof of purchase, whereas the order form is their commitment to buy the car and is often issued weeks or months before delivery. Car dealers will sometimes 'throw in' service plans, alloy wheel cover, etc. (the inference being that they're free), but they often then show up as a paid-for items on the invoice, with the value discounted off the cost of the new car or added to the part-ex total. This can then have an impact on how much the gap will pay out, as add-on items often aren't included.

The invoice is usually therefore a far more accurate and up-to-date document; most gap insurers will only accept this document, rather than the order form.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback