Phoenix Theatre London Help needed please.

Options
swingaloo
swingaloo Posts: 2,751 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 13 December 2023 at 5:24PM in Theatre, concert & events tickets
I have just in a moment of madness bought tickets for my husband Christmas present at the Phoenix. 
Ive seen it is in the West End but have no idea about getting there or where to stay as its years since we visited London.

I dont have a clue!

I would like some ideas of where to stay please as i dont really want to drive through the area and try to find parking. Ideally I would like to stay somewhere where we could get the tube to the theatre and back. 
But, my husband is disabled and will need to rely on either a wheelchair or disability scooter. The scooter would be best as I struggle to push him due to my hips not being that great.  I am going to contact the theatre to see if it is possible to park a scooter there when we see the shop and if not it will have to be wheelchair. 

Therefore I dont want to have to walk miles with him.  Can anyone tell me the best plan of action, where to stay that is near to a tube if that is possible and also how much time would we need to allow for travel from whichever hotel is recommended.  I can see there is a tube station at Tottenham Court Rd. Is this suitable and not too far a walk to the theatre?

Ideally I would like a tube which is on the same line from hotel to theatre as I dont fancy changing lines with a wheelchair/scooter.

Comments

• Wonka_2
    Wonka_2 Posts: 651 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    A real 'how long's a piece of string ?' question

Where are you coming from
    What are the dates 
    What's the budget ?

Unless you need to bring the car (congestion charge/ULEZ fee/parking could quite quickly add up) then maybe find somewhere close to your mainline arrival station and grab a cab to the theatre (or use the tube if it goes direct to your hotel)
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 December 2023 at 5:57PM
    Options
    Personally,  I don’t think it’ll be easy at Christmas with a wheelchair or mobility scooter but for your sake would love to be proved wrong. I’m not sure how you’re going to get on with parking, not sure that you’ll be able to park on the street in the west end at Christmas. Where will you be travelling in from? Premier Inn and Travelodge style hotels generally have disabled accommodation, although you’d perhaps be pushed to get a booking this late in the day or even one with parking. As for disability friendly tube stations, check out the tube map that should indicate those with stairs/lifts/ disability friendly access.
    Perhaps have a word with the theatre direct, they may offer advice, even have a partner hotel nearby? Or a tourist information office?
  • swingaloo
    Options
    Wonka_2 said:
    A real 'how long's a piece of string ?' question

Where are you coming from
    What are the dates 
    What's the budget ?

Unless you need to bring the car (congestion charge/ULEZ fee/parking could quite quickly add up) then maybe find somewhere close to your mainline arrival station and grab a cab to the theatre (or use the tube if it goes direct to your hotel)
    The date is in August. We are coming from near Manchester and will be driving down but I hopefully want to be able to leave the car at the hotel and travel to the theatre without it as dont fancy driving in central London and finding parking.
    I would be happy to stay on the outskirts as long as there was a reliable tube service from wherever. Booked a show a few years (about 15) ago and  got a tube to theatre but on the night the tube line was closed and despite giving ourselves what we thought was plenty of time the detour took so long we missed the first half of the show. That was when hubby was not disabled and we could both walk for miles but now things are different.
  • swingaloo
    Options
    baser999 said:
    Personally,  I don’t think it’ll be easy at Christmas with a wheelchair or mobility scooter but for your sake would love to be proved wrong. I’m not sure how you’re going to get on with parking, not sure that you’ll be able to park on the street in the west end at Christmas. Where will you be travelling in from? Premier Inn and Travelodge style hotels generally have disabled accommodation, although you’d perhaps be pushed to get a booking this late in the day or even one with parking. As for disability friendly tube stations, check out the tube map that should indicate those with stairs/lifts/ disability friendly access.
    Perhaps have a word with the theatre direct, they may offer advice, even have a partner hotel nearby? Or a tourist information office?
    Sorry to confuse things, we are not coming at Christmas. Its a Christmas pressie but the show is not till summer.
  • baser999
    baser999 Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 December 2023 at 8:55PM
    Options
    Tottenham Court Road is a short distance away and appears to have been upgraded with good disabled access. It’s also the hub for the Central and Northern tube lines as well as the Elizabeth Line so easily accessible. Perhaps use that as your ‘starting point’ and work backwards out of the West End to a disabled-friendly station and then a nearby hotel you like (or perhaps might be more the case, one you like the cost of !)  Given it’s not immediate, perhaps contact a tourist office for advice as they will likely be able to assist especially as you’ll be needing parking
  • swingaloo
    Options
    baser999 said:
    Tottenham Court Road is a short distance away and appears to have been upgraded with good disabled access. It’s also the hub for the Central and Northern tube lines as well as the Elizabeth Line so easily accessible. Perhaps use that as your ‘starting point’ and work backwards out of the West End to a disabled-friendly station and then a nearby hotel you like (or perhaps might be more the case, one you like the cost of !)  Given it’s not immediate, perhaps contact a tourist office for advice as they will likely be able to assist especially as you’ll be needing parking
    Thank you.  Im trying to do that so I can get one booked. We can either come down from  the M1 and go through the Wembley area or alternatively we could come M40/M25 towards Heathrow. Ideally would like to find a hotel within about a 30 min tube ride of Tottenham Court Rd and Ive been looking at the Travelodge type places which are reasonable and ok for one night but struggling to see which is the best option. With hubby being disabled its so much more difficult and I cant afford anything to go wrong getting from hotel to theatre. Would prefer to find somewhere north of London as that will be better for driving home the following day. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback