How to post a boxed item with item details and pictures on outside of box.

I currently have a branded smart oven for sale on ebay. In original box which had pictures and details etc of contents. Which it needs to stay in for the safety of the oven. I will send it Royal Mail tracked. Without putting it into an even bigger box what else can I use to wrap it in? I don't think bin bags taped on are strong enough and might get ripped off. Reluctant to send as is as I think it's an advert to thieves. Many thanks.

Comments

• moonpenny
    moonpenny Posts: 2,424
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I wouldn't even think of sending it without putting it another "outer" box.
    Also, you may not be covered if anything goes wrong and RM says it wasn't packed correctly.
  • cymruchris
    cymruchris Posts: 4,919
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    I would also say use a box. Sending it as is will open you to likely refusal on any damage claim. 
    An ex-bankrupt on a journey of recovery. Feel free to send me a DM reference credit building credit cards from the usual suspects :) Happy to help others going through what I've been through!
  • You could use brown wrapping paper and cover all of it with Sellotape.
  • Flatten out a cardboard box and use it as an outer wrapping.  
    This is what I would do. Wrap in brown parcel paper and then use brown tape - you can cover the entire box with brown tape if you like (many packages that come directly from China are like this) or at teh very least cover all the edges with brown tape. 
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 71,905
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    I do not agree with using brown paper. Items are machine sorted in a lot of instances and paper, however thick and chunky can rip. An outer box is required both for safety and to avoid damages. The box containing the oven is meant to be carried on pallets ,  it won’t be sufficient to go through rough handling unless you are confident that your packing would allow for the item to be dropped o to a concrete floor if you hold it with your arms outstretched. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing [email protected] views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • the_lunatic_is_in_my_head
    the_lunatic_is_in_my_head Posts: 7,324
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 December 2023 at 11:25AM
    soolin said:
    I do not agree with using brown paper. Items are machine sorted in a lot of instances and paper, however thick and chunky can rip.
    Yeap I'd be concerned the paper (or plastic if bin bags, etc) would rip and the bit with the label would disappear. 

Another box is best really with some void filler in-between to absorb any impact.

If you really didn't want to go down the road of another box I'd split the box down the section where it joins (there's usually a little flap with some glue holding one side to the rest), turn it inside out and use a line of tape over the flap on the inside and then lot of tape wrapped right around the box to ensure it doesn't come apart. 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,184
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    The box the oven is in is unlikely to be designed for individual postage and more for it being on a pallet or in a truck full of almost identical boxes. You really should be looking at a stronger outer box else the normal chucking things about with couriers is likely to cause damage. 
    Please don’t do this, I have had a number of parcels from eBay where the seller has done this and made it so difficult to get into, it’s extremely frustrating, and I have on occasion considered sending one or two back because I was concerned I would damage the item getting into the packaging.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 234K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback