What's the UK laws about fire saftey in new build flats

Options
Cigarette smoke coming from flat below coming from underneath the bath area in my flat. Being a new build there must be some fire regulations to prevent a fire spreading. Has something been overlooked when they were building these flats. I find it hard to believe that cigarette smoke coming from the flat below is not a fire safety hazard,if cigarette smoke is coming through then if a fire broke out below me I wouldn't have much chance.

Comments

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Why would smoke ever be considered a fire hazard? 
  • _Jem_
    _Jem_ Posts: 308 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 12 December 2023 at 11:52PM
    Options
    Because if smoke is coming from below that easily then if a fire was to break out it would spread fast. Remember smoke is just as deadly as fire.

I'm not saying cigarette smoke is a fire hazard is that what you thought i was saying?

I know when we moved into these flats that there was missing fire proof separation pannels to stop a fire from spreading. Took months to sort out. We even had to have a the loft hatch replaced with a fire safety one. All those things were done by the fire saftey people. They said all the things we are doing should of been done when the flats were being built.

I have been in enough fire damaged houses to know what fire smoke can do and unfortunately my health has suffered from it.

• itsthelittlethings
    Options
    You shouldn’t be able to smell someone smoking in the flat below you unless it’s via the windows?
  • Jonboy_1984
    Jonboy_1984 Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are there gaps around where the main (6”) waste pipes drop through the floor? These are supposed to be sealed but are easily “overlooked” by a rushing contractor….

(in our old flat, and both my siblings these pipes are next to the bathtub).
  • itsthelittlethings
    Options
    If the neighbours smoke cannabis I can smell it in my bathroom faintly. Luckily they don’t do it very often.
  • _Jem_
    Options
    Ef79 said:
    You shouldn’t be able to smell someone smoking in the flat below you unless it’s via the windows?
    Yes my point exactly fair enough in a old flats but everything should be sealed up properly. I originally thought it was the window that was letting it in but it's not it's definitely coming from underneath the bath area.

Are there gaps around where the main (6”) waste pipes drop through the floor? These are supposed to be sealed but are easily “overlooked” by a rushing contractor….

(in our old flat, and both my siblings these pipes are next to the bathtub).
    When I was on my hands and knees I thought it was coming from there it's been sprayed foam but the smell is definitely stronger from underneath the bath.

Ef79 said:
    If the neighbours smoke cannabis I can smell it in my bathroom faintly. Luckily they don’t do it very often.
    O that's another bad smell I use to get from the person directly opposite, but it use to drift out underneath his door and into my hallway. Fortunately I don't have that problem anymore he had been arrested for other things and isn't allowed back in the area.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hoenir said:
    Why would smoke ever be considered a fire hazard? 
    E.g. https://www.ifsecglobal.com/fire/smoke-control-systems/

• ComicGeek
    ComicGeek Posts: 1,539 Forumite
    Options
    There should be a intumescent fire collar/wrap on the soil stack (drainage pipe) as it runs vertically between flats, which expands and crushes the pipe in the event of a fire, protecting each flat. That won't be completely air tight (apart from when there's actually a fire!), so strong smells like cigarette smoke will leak through.
  • _Jem_
    edited 13 December 2023 at 9:56AM
    Options
    ComicGeek said:
    There should be a intumescent fire collar/wrap on the soil stack (drainage pipe) as it runs vertically between flats, which expands and crushes the pipe in the event of a fire, protecting each flat. That won't be completely air tight (apart from when there's actually a fire!), so strong smells like cigarette smoke will leak through.
    Well i have learnt something I thought everything should be air tight no smells coming through.👍

There is pink fire safety foam along the sides of the bath. And just normal foam around the hot pipe and none around the cold pipe. The smell is definitely coming from the pipes area so hopefully it just needs sealing up.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback