Redundancy

Hi All,

looking for some advice - I was made redundant yesterday (Great Christmas Present!) The reason they gave was the projects I was going to be working on were not going to be carried forward into 2024… however I had 2 project managers working underneath me who’s jobs are safe and I was recently told to hand over some projects to them which would of carried on well into 2024 as well as other in the pipeline I know will be active in 2024 that were due to be given to me. The 2 project managers I worked with one has been there around 3 months and the other 10 months. They are also interviewing for project managers working on the same set of projects.

i have been with the company just short of 2 years - is there anything I can do on this as I’ve never been pulled for poor performance or any such like it.

any help or advice would be great 

thanks

Comments

• sarulez86 said:
    I have been with the company just short of 2 years

If you have less than two years' continuous employment with your employer, your employer can dismiss you by giving you no more than statutory or contractual notice.

It sounds to me that they're doing some housekeeping and you don't feature in their future plans.

Their could be any number of reasons why, I wouldn't take it personally.

The New Year is generally a good time to job hunt, so maybe prepare your CV over the Christmas break and consider what's next.

Good luck with it....
  • Sorry you find yourself in this position, it seems to me that your employer is getting rid of you before you have been employed long enough to be able to claim unfair dismissal through a tribunal. 

Not sure there is much you can do but hopefully others will be along to advise.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 9,090
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Sometime people feel they need senior staff, sometimes they feel they need junior staff. As you had PMs reporting to you you're presumably a senior or prog manager etc their pipeline may not justify/necessitate the skills and costs of a programme manager when normal PMs are available. 

Obviously sometimes companies make these decisions and get unstuck but thats why I am in the contract space as I can then be called in to sort out the mess. It doesn't stop them repeating the mistake in a couple of years again though. 
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,245
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    No consolation to the OP but redundancy means the role is no longer continuing, so people in lower roles retaining their jobs doesn't signify anything.  The standard of work from those being made redundant is not being questioned.
  • Debt free as of 2 October 2009
    Mortgage free wanabee
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,849
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Being available to start immediately is a big boon when job hunting especially for Programme and Project Management roles. 
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • jlfrs01
    jlfrs01 Posts: 279
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It's easy in situations like this to feel vulnerable and potentially end up with less than one is entitled to. This is:
    • Days worked up until the consultation period which are yet to be paid
    • Days worked during the consultation period
    • Days not worked during the consultation period if your employer has said you do not need to work
    • Your contractual notice period
    • Any accrued but unused holiday
  • jlfrs01 said:
    It's easy in situations like this to feel vulnerable and potentially end up with less than one is entitled to. This is:
    • Days worked up until the consultation period which are yet to be paid
    • Days worked during the consultation period
    • Days not worked during the consultation period if your employer has said you do not need to work
    • Your contractual notice period
    • Any accrued but unused holiday
    The last two points yes.

However, given that the OP has been employed for less than two years he has no entitlement to redundancy so the first three point are moot.
  • Thanks for all the comments really appreciate the advice and insight - Think it’s just tougher to take so close to Christmas and talking to some of the tower leads within the company they are hiring people from Manila (Philippines) to cover the work that I’m leaving behind so it’s clearly a cost cutting exercise. 
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,245
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    Many years ago I was made redundant although I was in a somewhat different situation as I had made it clear I was happy to get out.  I worked most of the notice period training one of my colleagues to take on my work.  All they did was moan about all the extra work they would have to do.  They stopped doing that when I appeared to lose my temper with them and screamed that they still had a job and to stop moaning.  I was actually perfectly calm but wanted the rest of the office to know just what an a hole this person was.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback